November

Tuesday, November 9

Day 240

"Whatever," you sighed annoyedly. "That's fine."

Spencer shot you a look from where he was in the kitchen.

"What?" he asked defensively.

"Nothing."

"Obviously there's something you want to say."

"I said it's fine."

"Bullshit."

Spencer rarely cussed, but when he did you knew there was an issue. The two of you had gotten into little arguments here and there, but he had never said anything like that directed towards you.

"What did you just say?" you asked incredulously.

"You heard me."

Maybe it was the stress of impending deadlines at work. Maybe it was your irritation that he never even took a second two seconds to reply to you when he was out of town for work. Maybe it was that you hadn't been sleeping or eating enough, or maybe it was that he was making you feel like a second choice, but something in the tone of his voice made you snap.

"Say it again," you challenged, sitting up straight on the couch. "Look me in the eye and say that to my face."

"I said bullshit," he replied snarkily. It was almost as if he had slapped you in the face. Honestly, physical violence would have hurt less. Enraged, you stood and snatched your keys up from his coffee table.

"I'm leaving before I say something I regret," you spat.

"Good choice," he replied icily.

You slammed his front door on the way out.

-

Saturday, November 13

Day 244

The second your phone started to vibrate, you sighed exasperatedly. Seriously?

"I'm so sorry, we got another case-"

The two of you had made up immediately after your fight, but the whole thing still stung. At this point, you had resorted to making backup plans with Audrey. At least somebody was able to make time for you.

-

Tuesday, November 23

Day 253

"When will you be back?" you asked. You were already half asleep, lying on your couch with your head in Spencer's lap. He was stroking your hair softly. The both of you were barely paying attention to whatever he had put on the television, choosing to spend your short-lived time together enjoying each other's presence.

"Flights are almost impossible this time of year," he replied. "I have a ticket for Sunday morning, but I doubt I'll be back before then. I'll likely be delayed until that night or the next morning. I can't just leave my mom alone for Thanksgiving."

"I know," you sighed. You knew what his answer was going to be, but it still hurt to hear it.

"You'll be alright without me," he reassured you.

"I just miss you when you're gone."

"I know," he murmured. "I miss you, too."

-

Thursday, November 25

Day 255

Thanksgiving with your family was good. You wished he was there with you, though. Telling stories secondhand wasn't as fun as being in the moment together.

You had called him that night while the both of you were in bed. He sounded sad over the phone. It was because of his mom, but you knew it wasn't something he really wanted to talk about. You told him the stories from dinner with your own family, but nothing really seemed to help.

It was only after a prolonged period of silence that you realized he had fallen asleep. With a sigh, you hung up the phone.

-

Monday, November 29

Day 260

Spencer: Flight finally landed.

You: Yay! It's still kinda early, will you be home soon?

Spencer: No, Hotch wants me in the office ASAP. Something happened over the weekend.

Spencer: I think I may have to fly out again tonight.

You: Oh no

You: Do you have an idea on how long it might take?

Spencer: No idea. It seems like a bad one, so it could be awhile.

Spencer: I'll be home as soon as I can.

Spencer: I miss you.

You: I miss you too

-

Tuesday, November 30

Day 260

You inhaled deeply, enjoying the lingering smell of Spencer's soap on his skin. The first hug after he came back was always the best one. His warm embrace felt like home.