January

Thursday, January 6

Day 297

It was difficult to hear Audrey over the sounds of the patrons in the bar, but her next words rang clear.

"He can go fuck himself," she stated, taking another swig of her jack and coke.

"Yeah," you replied half-heartedly. You took a sip of whatever fruity drink she had ordered for you, not really paying attention. You weren't really in the mood to get wasted. It would only make you more upset when you went home alone. You dreaded the thought of what would happen if Spencer heard you drunkenly stumbling around your place.

That is, if he was even there.

"Keep your chin up girl," Audrey said, nudging you with her elbow. "You know there's more people out there for you."

"I'm trying to. It just really sucks, you know?"

"All the more reason to drink," she said.

"I have work tomorrow," you reminded her.

"Call in sick."

"I can't just-"

"When was the last time you took off of work? They give you the holidays off, but have you actually used any of your vacation or sick days in the past few months?"

"No," you mumbled.

"Call in right now. Text your boss."

"For what?"

Audrey grinned at you, pushing her dark box braids behind her ears.

"It's Thirsty Thursday, bitch. Now hurry up and finish that drink so I can get you another one."

-

Friday, January 7

Day 298

You were hungover as hell, but at least Audrey had let you stay at her place last night. Your body felt dry, and you desperately needed some water to ease your raging headache. You were snuggled up next to Audrey in her bed, the warmth from her body washing over you underneath the blankets. Her back was to you, but that didn't stop you from moving closer and throwing one arm around her stomach to pull her a bit closer. You had missed sleeping next to somebody else.

-

Monday, January 10

Day 301

Three weeks. Just silence, and nothing more.

-

Saturday, January 22

Day 313

The sound of Audrey's giggles bounced around the stairwell as the two of you made your way up to your apartment. Her hand was clutching your forearm as she tried to support herself, but you were just as off-balance as she was, leading the both of you to wobble around the hallways.

You had heard Spencer in his apartment once or twice in the last few weeks, but you did your best to ignore him. You prayed that you wouldn't run into him the way you used to do, and so far your luck had pulled through.

You were standing at your door fumbling with your keys when you noticed him from the corner of your eye. Your laughter subsided almost completely, and you did your best not to look at him as you saw him reach for his own keys. Audrey picked up on the mood change immediately and took the keyring from your hand, leaning over to unlock your door smoothly.

"There you go, babe," she said sweetly, kissing your cheek lightly as she brushed past you into your apartment. Whether or not Spencer noticed or was jealous, you didn't care to ask. The rest of the night, all you could think about was the feeling of Audrey's lip gloss on your skin.

-

Monday, January 30

Day 322

It wasn't a shock when you got the lease renewal offer in your mailbox once again. If someone had asked a few months ago whether you were staying in the building, your answer would have been a resounding yes.

However, a few months ago you would not have dreaded hearing sounds from the other side of the wall. There was no concern at the thought of running into Spencer, no anxiety about if he was going to ignore you. No envy over the idea that he was with someone who wasn't you.