Chapter Five; Memory Lane

I wasn't suppose to say that

I wasn't suppose to say that. I was suppose to slowly build trust between us.. enough for her to willingly let me in until I gained connection with Sword again or maybe to let me "safely guide" me back to New York on my boat.

Something, anything other than blatantly telling my truth. That was something I haven't shared with anyone. Not Sword, not Hayward, not any stranger as I drunkenly stumbled around in bars on random Saturday nights.

Yet here I stood, my mouth flapping faster than the Falcon's bird suit as I stared at her. The person who singlehandedly killed my mother.. and sister.

And now, standing face to face, I had trouble not killing her. "Let me go." I said again, less dictation in my voice than the first time around. And eventually, once she fell out of her shocked state, my feet became unglued to the floor and I was running again but this run felt less anger driven. It was pain filled and honestly, I was just sad.

Sad I didn't have my mom or my sister or my friend, not even my planet hopping dad. I had no one and I thought I was ready for this but I wasn't. My mom was right. I should've taken the lessons more serious and not just messed around the entire time. Because maybe I would've learned the fundamentals of self control. Maybe I would've learned more than basic knowledge and.. maybe she'd be here if I had better judgment like her.

There's no way I'd be able to run our village, even if I still had a village to go back to, I most likely would've still burned it to the goddamn ground.

The heat I felt in my face started to travel to my chin and it took a moment for me to realize that I was crying. Something I didn't realize I could still do.

My legs started to give out just as I almost ran into a tree but I caught myself, my hands holding the rough wood as I groaned deeply. I thought I was ready.. I'm not.

I dropped my head against the bark, shaking my head despite the roughness scratching my forehead. She did this. She's the reason my moms gone, she's the reason everything is how it is now because if my mom never died.. my sister would be here.

I slid down the tree again, my second time acting like an angsty teenager in some coming of age movie. I found myself chuckling at myself as I looked up at the long tree branches, subconsciously twisting the ring on my forefinger.

As I felt my face become a bit wetter, I looked beyond the trees only to realize it wasn't only tears but now rain falling. "How fitting." I mumbled and slumped back against the tree, not having enough will or energy to make myself walk back to the lake.

I'd be fine here. What's a little rain?
-

You killed my mother. Wanda pondered that very notion as she took her time on her walk down the path, her hands sliding comfortably into her cardigan to fight the cold.

In her mind, she couldn't pinpoint how she could've killed someone's mother. She didn't hurt anyone in WestView, nor had she in the last five years that she was gone from the snap. So, how?