Chapter Ten; Company

•

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

One of my favorite stories as a child was the story one of Icarus. My mom would tell us that story at least once a week to make sure we understood what we all stood for. Don't fly too close to the sun or your wings would fall.. funny how I can't even fly but, the message was clear.

Icarus was given a set of wings to escape. His father warned him not to fly too close to the sun or the wings would melt. What did Icarus do? Fly too close to the sun and lose his wings. I'm sure the ending doesn't need to be explained..

But the reason that story stuck with me is because it always kept me grounded when I felt like I was flying too close to the sun. In this instance, my sun was Wanda.

I had a dream last night, an actual dream. Not a nightmare or a memory, a sincere dream.

Within this subconscious state, I was running within the woods to burn off steam when I saw the red glow beside me. Wanda was flying through the air with a smirk, her eyes teasing me. "A witch can't fly?" She questioned, head titling.

I rolled my eyes and ran faster but there was no way I could beat her, I knew that. Eventually we reached a cliff that led to another side of the mountain and I leaped through the air, soaring like a bird for a few seconds before I landed on the ground and rolled to a stop.

"Now look, you've dirtied your clothes again." She said, dropping in front of me and walking forward, head shaking. I raised up, smiling coyly while she reached out to dust the dirt off of my shoulders. "What should we do tonight?"

"I still haven't learned how to perfect conjuration yet." She smiled and slid her hands from my shoulders to my neck, holding me in place.

This is where it gets weird..

As I watched her lean forward, as if she would kiss me, she whispered, "Truth prevails, darling." But here's the thing, it wasn't in her voice! I couldn't place the voice or take time to explore it because the next thing I know, I was shooting up and aiming my makeshift stick at Wanda's head. The real Wanda.

She stood at the entrance of the cave with wide eyes and a container. "Relax puppy, I'm just bringing food." With a sigh, I dropped the stick and let my head hang back, the dream replaying in my head like I had hit a rewind button— wait, did she just call me puppy? "You're usually up by now."

I hummed lowly and pushed myself forward to grab my canteen before downing the water. My muscles felt tighter than usual, and hot as well. God.. not the time.

"What's wrong?" She asked, sinking down to her knees and sitting the container down in front of me. "You're sweating bullets, Y/n, are you sick?"

I shook my head. "No. Just that time of the month." Her eyebrows shot up in shock at my words but I was busy digging into the bag, not processing what she could be processing.