13 | Wish Me Luck

NEW LIVINGSTON DAY SCHOOL STAR QUARTERBACK SET TO RETURN FROM DISLOCATED SHOULDER INJURY

While the New Livingston Day School Lions are still undefeated on the season, the return of star quarterback Dallas Gunther is what could undoubtedly propel the Lions into playoff contention for the third year in a row. Gunther is coming off of an injury to his non-throwing shoulder, which he sustained after an illegal hit late in the season opening home game against Brighton Prep. Coach John Knox came under fire for keeping Gunther in the game after tallying up a sizable lead, but he's reassured the team that Gunther will be 100% by Friday's homecoming game against Delbarton.

Sophomore backup quarterback Lando Harrison has proven to be a worthy replacement for Gunther, completing 65% of his passes over the last three games and tossing eight touchdown passes.

"It's total bullshit, if you ask me," Chris huffed and took a swig of his Gatorade. "Like you haven't been everything to this school's football program for years. You make one mistake and everyone's ready to toss you aside like bad movie theater nachos."

It was unusual for him to have hard opinions, but I knew he was just trying to be a decent friend. A cool breeze threaded its way between us, and I struggled to readjust my varsity jacket over my still-injured shoulder.

"It's fine," I waved him off, and I could hear the exhaustion in my voice. "The quicker I get this god damn sling off, the quicker we can all just move on and pretend none of this shit ever happened."

Chris sighed and looked across the courtyard. I followed his gaze over to a table under a big oak tree dotted with dying leaves, zeroing in on Lando Harrison and his wild, curly head of hair. A swarm of junior cheerleaders surrounded him and another sophomore on the football team.

"He's really eating this up," Chris grumbled.

"Let him," I shrugged. "It's better that he gets used to it now, anyway."

Chris scoffed and gestured towards Lando's little crowd with his hand, still gripping his half-eaten burrito. "That's your replacement you're talking about."

I threw Chris an eye roll. "How well do you know me, Christopher?"

"Oh here we go with the Christopher shit..."

I held my hand up to stop him. "Exactly. Which means unless I've been replaced by a time-traveling alien, you're fully aware that I am in no way, shape, or form threatened by a baby like Lando Harrison. My sling comes off today, genius."

At least, I was supposed to, but I was slowly learning that even if I had a crystal ball, I couldn't control my fate. A butterfly flaps its wings in the congo, and it separates my god damn shoulder. That was enough of a storm to me.

As if he could hear us talking about him, Lando poked his head above the little crowd that had gathered around him, offering us a smile and a wave.

"Besides, it's kind of hard to dislike him," I shrugged casually. "He's a good kid, he means well."

"You're so annoying," Chris grumbled and took a massive bite of his burrito. "Why can't you just be like a normal high school quarterback? Go bully some freshmen and cheat on a history exam. Your innate desire to be a likeable person is setting wildly unrealistic expectations for the rest of us."

It was wildly unrealistic expectations for anyone, but I didn't have a choice. Bend, but never break.

I barked out a dry laugh. "Right yeah, let me just squeeze shoving freshmen into lockers into my schedule, probably somewhere between AP Lit, practice, and tutoring sophomores for Calculus. I think I could make it work."