𝒱𝐼𝐼

ANNA MILLER was not one to believe in love. If you asked her about relationships, she would have laughed in your face. The feeling of being loved romantically felt almost foreign to her. Hell, she had never even felt that way towards anyone. Sure, she had been in a few relationships, but she gave up on finding 'the one', as everyone called it, pretty quickly. She resorted to standing on the sidelines, offering relationship advice to her friends if they asked, although never getting involved in any romantic entanglements herself. Why would she want to be tangled in a mess that is a relationship when they all ended the same way?

With a few harsh words, years of loving someone went down the drain as two lovers parted, only to never speak to each other again.

No, Anna Miller definitely did not want that to happen again.

She was independent and self-sufficient from a young age, as both her and her mom worked hard to maintain their more than comfortable lifestyle. She didn't need anyone to 'complete' her. She could take care of herself.

The only love she felt that she was certain of was the love towards Alina. After years of abuse and mental torment towards her daughter, Alina sent her husband on his way as soon as she found out, moving them both to the big city where she knew Anna would have a chance to put the past behind her and be happy. She did her best to help when she noticed anorexia sink its claws into her, then, fourteen year old daughter. They had become each other's rocks and, for years, they were the only thing the other needed, helping each other to the best of their abilities. They kept each other afloat as the world grabbed onto them, trying to drown them both in an ocean of despair.

The thought of staying and dying alone had never been scary to the girl, and she already got pretty comfortable with the idea that the person to comfort her in her last moments would be her own dying self.

So why was she feeling this way? Why did her stomach churn when she thought of never seeing Alice again? Sure, they had a bit over a year and a half until graduation, before they would all spread across the world in search of a better life. But she had known Alice for a week and yet, the thought of the pixie leaving made her feel physically sick.

What in the world was wrong with her?

                   ♱

Saturday came and went, leaving the human girl in a great mood. She was proud of herself, having completed the fundraiser concert on three hours of sleep, her restlessness the night prior being caused by none other than a certain pixie-like girl with golden eyes. She couldn't fall asleep no matter how hard she tried, dragging herself out of bed after a three-hour nap, groaning at the reflection in the mirror. She managed to look alive the whole day thanks to the ton of makeup she plastered onto her face.

She was pleasantly surprised, seeing familiar pale faces in the crowd along with her mom and friends. She managed to talk to them for a while after the event ended, thanking them for coming. She didn't expect to see all of them there and it made her happy that despite not knowing her very well, they tagged along with Alice.

The Cullens spent that Sunday hunting, preparing to go back to school.
On Monday, they got to school early, having been dragged out of the house at eight by their tiny sister, who was surprisingly strong for someone her size.

To Alice's disappointment, Anna wasn't there when they arrived. They waited and waited, yet the girl didn't come.

Just when Alice lost all hope to see her mate after the weekend, the girl skipped down the stairs, having merely seven minutes to spare before class started.

She sent a small wave in their direction, grinning as the siblings smiled and Alice waved back enthusiastically.

"What are you looking at?" She asked, setting her bag on the ground and plopping down on the bench next to Laura, who was scrolling through a clothing site on her laptop.