Sitting in the Lap of Luxury

My head grew heavy as we drove through the more expensive part of town, the buildings more elegant and rich in architecture. I felt like a fraud as I sat in Alexander's luxurious car once again, only this time even more so as I wore the sweat pants and relaxed attire instead of jeans at the least.

I couldn't imagine having all this...a clean view to say the least and no litter on the streets. It was an incredibly well kept district, and the streets might as well have been paved in gold. Mr. Knightly pulled up to a glamorous apartment building, one that most likely out bid the greatest hotels in Manhattan entirely, and of which I was sure he owned. I wondered how someone would feel to own such a place...empty for material wealth alone or fulfilled by items reflecting monetary achievement?

I stalled my curious mind and observed my surroundings as he led me through an elegant lobby and into a golden elevator that stopped directly at the luxurious condominium of Knightly himself.

My eyes were met with a spectacular view of Manhattan, the glass windows stretching the height of the enormously tall penthouse suite. Several staircases lined the side, indicating the complex to be the size of a decently large house, all on top of the skyscraper itself. What must have been the largest living room/lounge I've ever seen stood before me in all its glory, modern and elegant at the same time.

Mr. Knightly still supported me by the arm, though I had refused, and for which I was now very grateful for due to the weakness in my knees at such a sight.

"Y-y-you own all this?" I whispered pathetically, a particular hoarseness making me sound as weak as I felt. I could not fathom one person having so much money to spend like this. The room alone was at least three times the size of my entire apartment.

He chuckled and smirked in response, "I do." His facade softened as he met my eyes, his own unreadable as he took in my current state. "We should get you seated."

He led me towards one of the plush couches in front of the fireplace, with a perfect view of the Empire State Building and the best sights of downtown from up here. I felt so blessed just to be able to witness it, as it really was spectacular.

"Can I get you anything? Are you thirsty? Hungry?" He asked, knowing full well I hadn't eaten since before the surgery at the very least. I hesitated, unsure of what to say. On the one hand I knew the IV fluids made me feel better than I had in a while, and that I feared asking for anything especially from someone who had given me so much. On the other I knew he'd be suspicious if I refused, as most people would be hungry by now.

"You know what, I'm hungry so I'll go ahead and get us some food." He made up his mind for me, which I was very glad about. The way he seemed to read my mind, the way he knew exactly how to help–it was remarkable.

I smiled at the ground, noticing once again my sweatpants and frowning, before pushing my insecurities aside as well as I could. "You have a beautiful home," I said instead, eyeing the expensive furniture and wondering how I was worthy of sitting on it.

"Thank you, but I'd hardly call it a home."

I frowned, "why is that?" I inquired to be polite.
He didn't respond immediately, scrutinizing me before deciding to open his lips.

"I suppose I'm not here enough to call it such really. I sleep and eat here but never really enjoy it...I'm beginning to think it's because I live alone." He contemplated for a moment before continuing. "I've been thinking of getting a dog or a cat, but then I'd worry it would never get cared for by me as I'm always away on business. So I've just been keeping to myself and letting life pass in the same way." He was surprisingly open about his loneliness, and just as I was surprised by his candidness, I understood then why he was so cold at the office. Such time spent without the company of another is brutal, and I would know that better than anyone.

Maybe that's why he was so kind to me? Maybe I'm the first to see that emptiness, and he saw that in me too? How deeply we saw in each other's eyes, yet never dared confirm in words.

"I understand the feeling. I wish I had a pet of my own...I hear they are very comforting in times of distress." I reply, to let him know I do.

His brow furrowed.

"I thought you said you had a dog?" He questioned and I froze, caught in my lie.

"I, uh...I was dog sitting. I said 'my' dog to make it less confusing so I wouldn't have to explain so much at the time." I tried, almost convincing myself by the lie. He seemed to buy it.

I felt pathetic for not being able to be so open with him as he was with me.

Just then, a woman old enough to be my mother entered the room with a silver trolly, and I was hit with the scent of warm food. My stomach growled, much to my embarrassment, and I could feel my cheeks heat up while Mr. Knightly chuckled in amusement.

"Help yourself to anything you see that you like." He smiled at me, eyes shining with something unfamiliar. I blushed again and looked at the ground, watching as he grabbed a plate of pasta before following suit. I was more than excited to finally have a warm meal, and missed the dream I had of affording such regularly.

We ate slowly, with light music playing as we talked about the office, deals next week, etc. I could tell he wanted to change the topic—I'd grown weary of it too—and decided to ask about his family.

"Both parents are together and I have a brother. My extended family visits here and there for holidays but not frequently enough." He answered, not going into much detail on his brother. Charlie, I recalled, was the one who had landed me this job to begin with. I had to thank him whenever I could see him again, though I'm not sure if I was allowed to.

"I remember Charlie...he offered the job to me to begin with." I smiled.

"That he did..." he trailed off, briefly smiling before changing subjects. "So what about you? Any family?"

I could feel myself tense, uncertain of how much I should say. Do I mention Samuel? I shouldn't be deciding, but lying by omission seemed the smartest move. I also noticed he made no mention of a partner himself....

"I have my father but we don't talk. I haven't seen him in years, actually. My mother...passed away some time ago." I said carefully. I was sad again to remember that day, but I tried my best not to dwell on it now. I gazed instead toward the view below us, letting my head fill in amazement rather than grief. He placed his hand on my knee and I looked into his eyes, sincerity gleaming in the dark orbs as he told me he was sorry for my loss. I couldn't break my stare, though I tried not to ogle.

His sharp features were gorgeous, fitting the room with his bold personality. I could feel the strength in his hand before it left my leg, and his sudden comfort almost made me cave. I almost let myself believe that he could protect me, before I came to my senses and realized how foolish that was. Samuel would come for him, kill me, and my father would intervene from the shadows. As jarring a thought as reality was, I couldn't help but imagine what if, to pretend for just a moment I was safe. I sighed and looked away from his eyes, realizing I was full and only a quarter of a way through the plate.

"I'm sorry to waste, but I think I'm full. Can I save it for later?" I wasn't sure what was acceptable in this situation.

"Nonsense, it's okay if you're done. No worries," he waved the lady over, but I was already standing to clear my own plate. He gave me an odd look, as did she, before I realized that she was a maid in the household and that I was supposed to allow her to take care of it. I blushed again and sat back down.

A harsh yawn threatened my composure, and Alexander chuckled, before offering to put on a movie for the evening. I still was amazed by his good nature, so different than yesterday alone, and so much better fitted than his cold side. I wondered if work would change this again as the film began, and I felt restful for the first time in months. About halfway through, I felt my eyes closing.

I let them fall.