When it Rains, it Pours

A blue bird sat on top of the dancer's head.

Her skin glowed faintly in the dim light, blue and black, like mine.

Only she was on fire.

——————

My skin pulsed in burning waves as I came to. I could hardly move, and I knew that much time had passed since I came back. My core felt full of needles, and clotted blood soaked my skin and the damp concrete below me. I could hear the wind howling outside as I dragged my body into motion.

I crawled, slowly, agonizingly, until I made it to the alley. Too tired to move, and too much pain to care. I let the rain wash me.

I let myself become consumed by sobs as the water washed away my sinful skin. I scrubbed until my scars opened, and didn't stop even as the water mixed with blood. I felt filthy, unclean.

The last straw had been taken.

In that moment, I wanted to die more than ever before.

Images flashed before my eyes.

His rough hands clawed at my flesh as he sought his pleasure and will through me. I refused. I fought so hard, but to seemingly no avail.

I was useless.

I never meant to go back, I never meant to leave behind what I had, but I had to. I knew I had to save him.

And now I'm here.

I felt a vague understanding, that if I hadn't left, that if I had stayed with Mr. Knightly, that he was not safe either. That Samuel would find him.

That Samuel would kill him.

His black eyes taunted me as I poured out my energy into the concrete, cheek flush against the rainwater and stone.