Run and never look back ~past~

"Witches, everyone thought of then as evil or cunning. Channeling dark magic to others for their own sake. The truth is it's never like that." The old woman says as she brushed zaia's hair with a gentle hand.

"Is it okay for people to know that we're witches?" She gazed up at her with questioning eyes. Her expression softens as she weakly shakes her head. "Is it because We're dark witches? I'm a dark witch too.."

The little Zaia looked down at the ground. She never really felt normal, the fact that it rains in her command and all the glass she broke without the need of contact made her feel far from normal. This is not what she was suppose to do in her age. There's always that pang and feeling of loneliness whether she watch as children her age run around with no care.

"Darkness does not always equal to evil; light does not always equal good. The light will never know the dark, but the dark will always know what light is." Maybe she's still a little young to comprehend what she meant, but she understood. That she's not evil, but she still hoped to be normal rather than a witch. before she can even reply to her grandmother. A loud banging at the door was heard. Along with statements filled with string of curses.

"W-what's happening?"

The old lady turned to her, "you need to get out of here Zaia, there's a box hidden under the tree where I always take you and Zanthe. Inside the box is an address.. You have to hurry."

"What about you?" She says worried. She only shoots Zaia a tentative smile.

"I'm going to be okay.."

There were more forceful push and tugs at the door as the time pass by, they only got angrier and angrier. A loud crack snapped their heads toward the door as it lay broken on half and an rage-filled crowd stood outside. Torches and pitchforks in their hands and it made Zaia uneasy and scared. Her innocent mind not knowing what they're supposed to do with those.

"GET THE WITCH!"

The old lady urged Zaia to go. "Run Zaia! Find your sister and the box and leave the village. Never look back!" Those were her last words as Zaia backs away and the crowd engulfed her grandmother taking her away.

She ran with tears in her eyes, she spotted her sister watching in fear as the crowd continued to take the form of her grandmother who tried to struggle away. Running towards her she takes her shocked body into her chest trying to soothe her down.

"Zaia? What are they doing to grandma..? Why are they taking her away?" Her voice cracking, pained, confused. Her sister who was never introduced in the family line of witchcraft. Zaia was glad Zanthe was never one who had anything peculiar happen to her, she was glad her sister is normal.

"We have to go Zanthe.." She says avoiding Zanthe's questioning looks, she tried to wriggle away from her grasp.

"I need to get something in the house first. It's important!"

"You have to hurry! We don't have much time, get out of the house as soon as you can alright?"

Zanthe nods her head and ran towards the house and Zaia went her way to the forest. To the big tree where she would sit down by herself reading books and get lost in an entirely different world. Where her grandmother taught her how to fence, how to manage the power within her. Digging her hands through the ground, pulling it desperately. The cold mushy feeling of the soil on her hands as she tried to speed up the pace until she noticed a small wooden box. Inside it is a letter. Quickly snatching the letter and tucking it away in her pocket she ran back. Towards the village where the house is.. When she got there
All she saw was fire, she heard the angry screams. People from the village was outside her house with torches and sharp objects in their hands.

She didn't care, she still ran towards the house, forcing her way through. Once she was in she frantically searched for her sister. Zanthe. Her heart thumps in uncontrollable speed and tears start welling in her eyes.

"ZANTHE!" Her voice slowly cracking until she heard a small but audible response

"Zaia.. Help me."

Feeling a little relived she ran towards the fallen form of her sister. Quickly propping her arm around her shoulder to stand her up. The curses from outside did not stop, and Zanthe continued to bawl.

"Don't worry, I'll get you out of here.." Zaia whispered as she tried to quickly get her way to the Backdoor. The wooden house starts to crackle as a sign to hurry up, or else it will all fall apart.

Pushing the door open with the strength she has left, she let Zanthe go out first. A crackle from above her was heard and a huge chunk of wood was threatening go answer her death. In the last minute before it did, Zaia jumped out..

"C'mon.. We have to go before they realize." She says as she took Zanthe trying her hardest to stealthily get her way to the forest where they would be unseen by the angry crowd.

"Zaia.. Grandma.. They took her.."
Zanthe fell to her knees gripping the ground with her hands and she starts bursting out in tears. "Where are we suppose to go now?" She asked in despair as she stares up at Zaia.

Zaia sighed and she pulled out a crumpled piece of paper.

"We're going to see mother.."