chapter 10

chapter 10:
playing house.
Nyx

"Now this is pure gold."

"Jesper," Inej groaned.

"What?! I mean, what are the odds that we'd have a Tailor in town and Kaz has her play his beloved wife," Some changes were made to my face to make me look older, my eyes bigger and green.

"It's just for now," I reminded him.

"Nyx Brekker does have a nice ring to it."

"Jesper!" We both shouted.

"Alright, alright!" He held his hands up in surrender, still holding onto that cheeky smile as Kaz approached us.

"Remember, you are Katya Turgenev, noblewoman and wife to-"

"You," I interrupted, "The-the famous artist," I corrected myself, trying to look anywhere else but Kaz.

Stop that.

You're embarrassing yourself.

"Give me your hand," He held out his gloved hand, which made me look at him with uncertainty.

"Are you sure?"

I know you don't like being touched.

"Yes," I placed my hand on his, and he pulled out something from his pocket and my eyes widened at what slipped upon my finger.

My wedding finger.

"You can't be married without a fake engagement ring," Although there was no big diamond or jewels like the one Vasily gave me, it meant so much more because it was simple and gorgeous.

"I think this is second base for them."

"Jesper!"

_____________

Now you won't be able to lie to me.

You'll have to tell me the truth.

I let out a heavy breath before walking into Genya's room, to which she got up from her vanity.

"Excuse me, but the party is-"

"Yes, I'm so sorry, but my friends a Tailor and he refuses to put my face back. Cam you do anything to reverse this?" I asked, knowing she'd never say no to showing off her skills.

"Yes, of course. Just sit here," She led me to her vanity chair and stooped down a bit and began by reversing my green eyes to my dark brown ones. Then the wrinkles under my eyes vanished, and I felt her take a sharp inhale before stumbling away from me.

"Nyx. . .?"

"Didn't think I was actually dead, did you?" I spoke in a dark tone, standing up.

"H-how? Aleksander reported your body-"

"You wouldn't actually believe my brother now, would you? I mean, we both know the things he says. We also know how you were never my friend," I stepped towards her, and she stepped back. I held in so much anger towards everyone that lied to me, that tricked me into thinking they actually loved me that the old me had returned.

The Shadow Queen.

"To think that I actually let you all trick me like that! Lie to my face! Trick me into becoming your Queen, and yet you'd let Aleksander use me?! You're worse than the Fjerdans!" Shadows started to envelope the room and the light bulbs from her vanity had exploded and the candles had been snuffed out

"Nyx, please, I-"

"No! Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to find your Sun Summoner, and I'm going to tell her everything. I'm taking her across the Fold, and you will never see her again."

Genyas voice trembled, "p-please, you know your brother is only trying to do good-"

"You mean the Black Heretic?! And the worst part is, he's not even my brother!" I yelled, to which she looked confused.

"Wh-what?"

"That's right. That was only another lie he had made up for me. Baghra told me everything before I left.
Aleksander isn't my brother.
Aleksander's my father."

///
BIG REVEAL!! Yes, Aleksander is Nyx father, naming her after the night itself. What do you think her mother was? A Heartrender? A human?