chapter 16

CHAPTER 16:
Darkness.
Kaz

I thought of a hundred ways I could torture the bastard, and easily he would have died each way. He would have screamed in agony and begged for mercy, but unfortunately, that is not in the cards for us as of right now.

I hated seeing him force her onto the boat, but he released the chains on her as to not provoke any suspicion. It only made my blood boil more when he chained her ankles to the deck, making it impossible for her to run.

"What's the plan?" Jesper asks as we sneak our way underneath the deck of the ship.

"The plan-"

"For you and Nyx after this?" He cut me off.

"What?" Inej and I asked.

"Well, now that you and Nyx have stopped pining over eachother and dancing around your feelings, surely the answer after this is to runaway together?" Jesper guessed.

"Runaway?" Inej repeated.

"Not without us, of course, but big scary dad isn't going to let her slip away again."

He was right about that one. Nyx is never going to be safe if he's still out there.

"We'll kill him," I answered simply.

She never has to be scared again.

I'll make sure of it.

"This is a bad idea."

"I think it's rather practical," I stated.

"What? Why?"

"I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns," One bullet was all we needed and then she'd be free.

"So, cleaning them is a good idea."

"I don't mean this," He waved his gun, "I mean this."

The volcra above us continued to circle and growl, almost as if they sensed us below them.

"We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets. I should have brought Milo," Jesper ranted.

"Who's Milo?"

"The goat," He looked disappointed that she didn't remember.

"How many bullets do you have?" I asked.

"Not enough."

Jespers question still rang in my mind. What would we do after this? Surely Alina Starkov will not come with us willingly, and going back to Ketterdam with nothing would mean that Inej gets taken back by Heleen. Nyx would be free of her father, but she'd be a wanted criminal. I know I want nothing more than to make her the happiest woman alive, and I do plan on making her my wife one day. But, surely we wouldn't stay in the bustling city of Ketterdam nor in a casino.

That's no place for children.

It only hit me a second later that I was already thinking of children and looked around us, hoping that they didn't catch the blood rushing to my face.

Don't think so far ahead.

Think of the now.

But, I didn't know what would happen. Where would we go? The Crow Club will be gone. Perhaps Inej will stay and find her freedom, and Jesper would surely keep on gambling. But Nyx, I didn't know what she wanted to do. She never spoke of her past until now.

"I think a house in a field would be nice. Quiet, but close to the city."

A conversation that she had with Inej occurred to me. Quiet, but not too quiet, and in a field that surely had lively flowers and room for children to run around. A carefree life.

I couldn't get too carried away, and the volcra screeching over us reminded me off that.

Don't worry, Nyx.

I'll be tearing both his eyes out and he'll never be able to even look your way again.

///
Quick little update for you guys. Also follow my Instagram @therealautogirls for updates on this book and many others. Even sneak peeks into future chapters, and the definite angst and tears that will happen.