Family and Farewell

"I can't believe this."
"I don't understan' wha' the big deal is."
Dixie and America were sitting out on the porch, watching the day fade into night. It was a pretty sunset, with pink and gold and purple scattered across the sky. The states were outside too, playing in the sprinklers. America had to yell at Florida a few times to keep him from rolling in the mud. That didn't stop Texas from pushing Cali in, though. Let's just say they earned another dishes-date.
America showed Dixie his phone. "Look at how she responded!"

Japan

I luv u 2 \(^◇^)/

Dixie squinted at the screen. "She said she loves ya. That's good, righ'?"
"It's the way she said it." America huffed, sitting next to his brother. "She didn't bother to spell it out. L-O-V-E. 'Luv u 2' is a friend kind of love."
Dixie rolled his eyes. "I think you'r' readin' to much into this. Just ask her out alrea'y."
"I'm in the friendzone now. Let me die in peace."
"I can't believe et. America can face a shadow that terrorizes his family, but when it comes to a girl you can't ge' yourself to do squat."
Now it was America's turn to roll his eyes. "It's not like that. She could say no. It could totally ruin our friendship and allyship. AND country relationships never end well."
"Aw come on, who could deny a yank like ya?" Dixie gave America a shoulder punch.
America scowled and raised his hand to swat his brother.
Dixie gave an exaggerated squawk and flinched away dramatically. It had only been a few hours, but Dixie was already teasing and joking around. Most of his color had returned too.
"Please don' beat meh," Dixies said, batting his eyelashes. "It was on'y a joke."
America playfully shoved his brother and Dixie snickered. "I told you I didn't mean to do that."
"Other than your girl trouble," Dixie wiggled his eyebrows at the country, "What are we gonna do? Now that the boogie man gone."
America looked at his states running amuck in the back yard. Arizona was playing a game of freeze tag with the younger states. Florida had climbed up a tree. Utah was throwing cigarette butts at New Mexico.
"Life as usual." America shrugged. "You're here now so you get to be apart of it. If you want."
He watched as Florida dumped a bucket of water on New York's head. New York threw one of his crutches up at Florida, who was busy laughing so hard he didn't notice.
The crutch hit New Jersey in the head, and an all out brawl began.
America sighed as he sat up. So much for a quiet evening. "Break it up, break it up."
Dixie was making his funny heeetehheeete laugh. "So fist fights?"
America laughed back. "Yeah."
"And makin' sure the states don't kill one anoth'r?"
"Yep."
"And makin' fun of you're stupid mullet?"
"It's not stupid."
"Yeah whate'er. And apple pie righ'?"
The states were laughing instead of fighting now, and Florida was even helping New York hobble towards the house. Like he said before. Life would keep on going. The world kept turing.
"Yeah." America smiled, enjoying the last of the day's sunlight on the horizon. "Lots and lots of apple pie."