chapter five

Nathan had to bring Jessica to practice -- which he deeply loathes since his dad is the new coach while Whitey is in the hospital.

"What is that thing doing here?" Dan asks, motioning to the car seat Nathan carried in.

"Dad, I had to. Everybody who could watch her is busy." Nathan says.

"She better not ruin practice." Dan says, walking away.

Nathan rolls his eyes, going over to the bleachers. He puts the car seat on the bleachers and bends down in front of Megan.

"Okay, baby, I have to practice and I have to keep you in the car seat so you don't get up and get hurt by one of the guys, okay?" Nathan says, taking toys out and giving them to her and putting them next to her. He grabs her bottle that's full of milk and puts it in the cupholder.

Megan babbles, shaking her rattle. She only has it for a few moments when it's ripped out of her hand. Both look up seeing Dan.

"Dad--"

"No rattles." Dan states, tossing the rattle away, it landing on a different level of the bleachers.

"Dad, she likes the rattle." Nathan says.

"I don't care." Dan says, walking away. Nathan sighs, turning back to his daughter.

"Sorry, sweetie." He mutters, running his hand over her head. "Just be good and don't unbuckle yourself, okay?" He says and Megan nods. Nathan puckers his lips, leaning closer to her, and Megan pecks him on the lips.

~ ~ ~

Practice has been going on for a while and Megan has been able to entertain herself the whole time.

"Hold your position. Where's Jagielski?" Dan asks.

"Sometimes coach lets him miss practice because of his baby." Tim answers.

"Sounds like Whitey. There'll be no more special treatment for anyone, understood? Now this ball control offense Whitey's running is out. From now on it's run and gun. Players make plays." Dan says.

"But we're undefeated and we're going to playoffs." Tim says.

"By the way, you're benched. Anyone else?" Dan asks and nobody says anything. "Good."

~ ~ ~

"Alright, free throws. Make ten in a row, miss one, grab a weight plate and run and start over. Let's go." Dan says. Nathan shoots the ball and makes it. "Bend your knees, Nathan."

"I just made it, didn't I?" Nathan asks.

"Hey. Whitey let you mouth off like that? Bend your knees." Dan orders. Nathan does so, shoots, and misses. "Grab a weight plate. Next." Nathan begins running while Lucas goes up to the basket and shoots, but misses. "Go join your new pal. Next."