chapter ten

Olivia is nervously bouncing her knee while she sits on the couch, watching Megan watch Tom and Jerry. Megan looks back at Olivia, about to ask for a snack, but stops seeing the woman's concerned look.

"You sad?" Megan asks, snapping Olivia out of her trance.

"No, sweetheart, just thinking." Olivia dismisses. Ever since she had the news on during Megan's nap earlier and Nathan's school came up due to a school shooting, the brunette hasn't been able to relax.

"I hungwy." Megan says.

"What do you want?" Olivia asks.

"Fishie." Megan states.

"You want Goldfish?" Olivia makes sure and Megan nods. "Okay." Olivia gets up and goes to the kitchen, pouring some Goldfish into a plastic bowl. She returns to the living room and puts the bowl next to Megan.

The doorbell rings and Olivia rushes to it. She looks outside the window, relief washing over her when she sees Nathan and Haley. Olivia opens the door, immediately bringing the dark-haired teen boy into a hug.

"Oh, my God, I'm so glad you two are okay. Are you okay?" Olivia asks. She pulls away, checking them for injuries.

"Well, physically, we're good." Haley forces a small smile. "Mentally is a bit of a different story.

"I know, I'm so sorry. It was a really stupid question." Olivia mumbles, bringing the girl into a hug. "I'm glad you're both alive, though."

"Yeah." Nathan mumbles, looking down.

"What? What happened?" Olivia asks, not aware of how the rest of the day went since she couldn't watch the news with Megan awake.

"Jimmy Edwards is the one who had the gun. And, uh... Peyton got shot, but she'll be okay. Keith died, though. Jimmy shot him before shooting himself." Nathan informs.

"Oh, God." Olivia whispers, tears springing to her eyes, her hands covering her mouth. "Nathan, I'm so sorry." She hugs him again.

"Is Megan awake?" Nathan asks, pulling back from the hug after a minute.

"Yeah, she's in the living room." Olivia tells them and Nathan immediately goes there. Haley and Olivia follow after shutting the door.

"Daddy!" Megan exclaims, getting up and toddling over to him. Nathan lifts her up, tightly hugging her to him. Nathan kisses her on the head, stroking her hair.

"You okay?" Megan asks, pulling herself back so she can see Nathan's face.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine, baby." Nathan says and Megan squishes his cheeks making him smile.

"Hi, baby." Haley rubs the toddler's back. Nathan lets Haley take her and hug her tightly.

"Ow." Megan mumbles, pushing away from Haley who loosens her grip.

"Sorry. Sorry." Haley apologizes, not realizing how tight she was hugging her. "I'm really happy to see you." She says, kissing the girl's forehead.

+++