chapter nine

Megan is sitting in the grass at the river court with a few of her toys, a bag of Goldfish, and her bottle of juice. Nathan is standing near her and talking to the basketball team who are all on the bleachers, a few standing up.

"Tomorrow's Midnight Madness, so practice doesn't officially start till then. That doesn't mean we can't get a head start." Nathan says.

"Aye, aye, captain." Tim salutes him making Megan giggle.

"So, today, we're gonna run full court for 30." Nathan states.

"Uh, Captain Scott." Tim raises his hand.

"It's just Nathan, Tim." Nathan says.

"Captain Nathan, has it occurred to you to appoint a vice-captain in the event that you're assassinated or smash up another race car?" Tim asks.

"No. Alright, I've already split up the teams. You guys know who you are. Everybody else just rotate in, all right? And don't hit the toddler." Nathan says, tossing the ball to one of the guys.

"Yeah, about that, I notice you've got both centers. How about we take Herro?" Lucas suggests.

"That's a great idea, Lucas. Maybe when you're captain we can try that." Nathan says making a few of the guys laugh. "In fact, why don't you just go ahead and sit this one out, alright?"

"You're kidding." Lucas says.

"No, I'm captain. And if you can't handle that, you can leave." Nathan says. "Fede, you're in. Let's go."

Everybody but Lucas rushes onto the court. Lucas gets up as Megan holds one of her toys out to him.

"Not today, Megs." Lucas says, walking away, smiling apologetically at her.

+++

Nathan gets to the apartment, stopping the door from slamming in his face.

"Is Haley home?" Nathan asks Brooke who is walking towards the bedroom with Lucas.

"You mean the Haley that promised to get the hell out of here?" Brooke asks.

"Whitey told me to tell you to get your butt back to practice." Lucas says.

"Tell Whitey I'll be back when it's practice and not spring cleaning." Nathan says.

"Hey, wha--" Haley tries to talk as Brooke basically shoves her out of the bedroom. Lucas shuts the door, leaving the married couple.

"Did you think about it? Having a baby to stay together?" Nathan asks.

"Nathan, I am 17 years old. We're still in high school. You and I are totally in limbo. No. I don't want a baby." Haley states, getting a water bottle out of the fridge.

"Well, you knew you weren't protected that night." Nathan says.

"Well, first of all, it takes two guy without a condom. You should know that better than any of us. Second, the only thing I was thinking about that night was being with my husband. The fact you think I was trying to trap you into something is really insulting." Haley says.