chapter fifteen

Six year old Megan and four year old Jamie are sitting in their mother's empty high school classroom each with their own coloring book. Since Nathan isn't in the best state, they come with her to work unless Lucas or one of the guys can watch them.

"Man, they do grow up fast." They hear and turn to see Lucas in the doorway.

"Uncle Lucas!" The kids cheer, running up to him and he picks the both of them up.

"J. Luke, Megster! Hey. You two in high school already?" Lucas asks.

"No." They object.

"I'm only four." Jamie says.

"I'm six." Megan says, looking at her uncle like he's a crazy person.

"Hmm, four going on forty and six going on sixty. What you two drawing?" Lucas asks, putting them back down.

"You can't see it. It's not done." Jamie says.

"Yeah, trust me, I understand that one." Lucas says.

"I'm drawing a group of mermaids." Megan grins.

"Well, when you're ready, show it to me, will ya?" Lucas asks and Megan vehemently nods before going back to the desk and Jamie goes back to his.

+++

Lucas is taking Megan and Jamie to hang out and is downstairs. Megan and Jamie finish getting ready before going downstairs.

"--Or Dan's not gonna be the only Scott to kill his brother." They hear Nathan say as they walk in.

"Ready, Uncle Lucas?" Jamie asks.

"Real nice, Nate." Lucas says.

"Luke... just..." Nathan sighs.

"Come on, Jamie, Megs." Lucas says.

"Bye, daddy." Megan waves at him. She wants to walk up and kiss his cheek, but he's always grouchy and it scares her a little. Also, she doesn't like the scratchiness of his beard.

+++

The Scott children and Lucas are at the guys' apartment after spending time at the river court. They're playing a video game.

"Down by 2, and it looks like they're bringing in a rookie. Clock running down, time for one last play." Skills says.

"All right, Jamie, this is what we're gonna do. When I tell you, I want you to hit the green button. Okay?" Lucas says.

"Don't do it, Jamie." Fergie says.

"Pass it to your pal Junkie." Junk says.

"Don't do it!" Megan objects.

"You ready?" Lucas asks and Jamie nods. "Now."

"Shoot it!" Skills cheers.

"No, no, no, no, no!" Fergie, Junk, and Megan exclaim.

"Jamie! That's it, you lost the ice cream." Junk says. While Skills, Lucas, and Jamie celebrate, the other three sulk.

"You get all the ice cream in the world." Fergie tells Megan, making a big grin spread on her face.

"Hi, upside down boy." They hear Haley greet. Megan looks to see Lucas holding Jamie upside down.

"Hey, mama! We won!" Jamie exclaims.

"Oh, wow." Jamie smiles.

"We were just..." Lucas puts Jamie down. "Here you go."

"What are you wearing?" Haley asks her son.

"Uncle Skills gave it to me." Jamie says, showing off the jersey.

"Wasn't that nice of him, making you look all krunk. Did you say thank you?" Haley asks and Jamie nods. "Megs, you ready?" She asks and the girl nods. "Okay, go say goodbye to the guys."

The two kids say bye to Skills, Junk, and Fergie, before walking over to their mom and uncle again.

"Okay, mama, I'm ready." Jamie says.

"Me too." Megan says.

"Whoa, what about me, you two?" LUcas asks.

"Bye, Uncle Lucas." They hug him.

"Bye, guys. I love you." Lucas says.

"I got to go home now, and anyway, you should be writing." Jamie says.

"I don't want to hear it." Lucas says.

+++

Megan lays in bed and listens to Nathan throwing things downstairs. Megan grabs her stuffed bunny and runs to her parents' bedroom. Finding Jamie already on one side of Haley, she rounds to the other side of the bed.

Megan climbs in the bed and goes to Haley, sitting next to her. Haley helps her get under the blanket, wrapping one arm around the girl.