chapter six

Nathan waited on Haley for a dinner he prepared, but she never showed. He starts cleaning up when he hears Megan start to cry. Nathan puts the plates back down and quickly goes to the bedroom. He walks in just as the tiny girl crashes into his leg, hugging it tightly.

"Hey, baby. What's wrong?" Nathan asks, picking her up. She clings to his neck, burying her face in his shoulder. "Hey, what happened?" He whispers, rubbing her back.

"Bad." She mumbles.

"You had a bad dream?" He asks and she nods. Ever since first saying 'dada', she's picked up a few more words: bad, foo (for food), me, ow (and owie), and no. She uses bad stuff she finds scary.

"It's okay, sweetie. It wasn't real. You're safe." Nathan assures. He rubs her back and lightly rocks back and forth to comfort her.

After a while, Megan stopped crying and Nathan got her some milk which she is now holding, taking occasional gulps from it. Nathan is cleaning up after dinner when there is a knock on the door.

"Haley?" he wonders. He opens the door, not finding Haley.

"Whoa! Haley didn't mess around." The woman states. "You're Nathan, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. Do I... do I know you?" Nathan asks, subconsciously holding Megan closer out of caution.

"Well, you should. I'm your sister-in-law." She states.

"Oh, uh, Vivian?" Nathan guesses.

"Don't make me smack you."

"Quinn?"

"Taylor. Haley never mentioned me to you?" She asks. Nathan just lightly scoffs and shrugs. "Can I come in?" She asks, walking inside, away from the outside storm.

"Yeah." Nathan mumbles.

Taylor bends over and Nathan sees a scorpion tattoo on her lower back.

"You wanna grab that?" Taylor asks.

"What? Excuse me?" Nathan asks.

"My suitcase." Taylor says.

"Oh, yeah." Nathan gets the suitcase that's just outside the door. "So, uh, Haley never said you were coming." He says, putting the suitcase down and shutting the door.

"Ah, she didn't know. So where is little sis?" Taylor asks.

"Out." Nathan states.

"Oh, that's vague. Guess we'll have to get acquainted until she gets home." Taylor smiles.

"Yeah, sure. Uh, just make yourself at home." Nathan says.

"Hmm. Careful what you wish for, little brother-in-law." Taylor says. "I don't remember her ever mentioning a kid. Or being pregnant."

"She wasn't pregnant. Megan is biologically all mine." Nathan says.

"No birth mom in the picture?" Taylor questions.

"No. Had her and ran." Nathan states.

"Too bad. She's cute." Taylor says, going to the bathroom.