- chapter 2 -

(unedited)

       You and Ganyu had split up a while ago, after she'd helped you get situated into a temporary house. Meandering around the streets of Liyue Harbor, you nearly fell flat on your face due to tripping over a stranger's foot.

However, the reason it was "nearly" and not "you did" was because that same stranger's hand was now wrapped around your waist, keeping you from meeting your certain death by embarrassment.

"Hey girlie, I guess you really "fell" for me. Anyways, did it hurt?"

You blinked. "Yeah I fell, but not for you... what do you mean?"

He let out a small sigh. "When you fell from Celestia, of course!" He waited patiently for your answer as you chewed on your lip, thinking about the question. Finally you replied.

"Well...yeah I guess, I broke all the bones in my body, nearly died, and was saved by Rex Lapis...?" The ginger haired male burst out in laughter, his amusement dying when you stared back at him, confused.

"Wait, so you really fell from Celestia?"

You shrugged casually. "Not exactly Celestia, you see, but close enough." It was a true story.

Butttttttttttt it's not time for our dear Y/n's backstory, so let's continue.

You could tell he was still incredulous, one hand in his ginger hair as he leaned forward.

"Well, angel from Celestia, wanna get lunch?"

And THAT, that right there yep, was the entire story of how you were having lunch in Wanmin Restaurant with a certain ginger-haired Harbringer....except you don't know that yet.

He introduced himself as Childe, and you internally snickered to yourself as to what an absurd name that was. You had to admit, he was pretty good-looking, but you didn't believe in the principal of love at first sight so you brushed it off. After all, he was only a mere mortal, while you were an adeptus who was to live for thousands of millennia to come.

"So what brings you to the harbor?" He asked. "I don't think I've seen you around here before.."

"Just a change of scenery, that's all." You replied. You may be naive, but even you know not to reveal your identity to a random person right after you meet them. You think of an excuse, and say you're from Mondstadt- the land of the anemo Archon that neighbors Liyue.

"Is that so?" Asked Childe. He was trying to use chopsticks to pick up a piece of tofu, but it kept falling down each time. You let out a giggle, and he just ignored you, focusing on the piece of tofu. Less than 10 seconds later, though, he stabs the tofu with anger and eats it. You're audibly laughing now, and he keeps looking away.

"It's not funny!" He whined.

After that, you both went for a walk in the city. He knew you were an adeptus, but didn't say anything. He's done his fair share of research about you, why do you think he approached you in the first place?

Childe's POV

"Lies and deceit," I said under my breath, "Lies and deceit."

I had been researching for two weeks straight back in Snezhnaya. There were seven living adepti, and my plan was to take down the two most powerful. My mission was to get Rex Lapis' gnosis, but I had to do a bit more digging after I realized his adepti would protect him at all costs. I went around trying to find as much as I could, and finally I had enough info to come to Liyue and get the gnosis- Her Majesty will be very pleased. Luckily, the most powerful adeptus was also the most naive.

*******

Over the next few days, you met with this "Childe" several times, everyday, in fact. You enjoyed his company, as he did yours. A couple moments lingered in your thoughts, however.

"Y/nnnnn!" The carrothead whined out your name, stretching the syllables.

"Yes?"

"Are you going to go to the Rite of Descension?"

"Yeah, I guess? Why?" You questioned, suddenly nervous.

He shook his head, laughing at your trepidation. "Would you like to go with me? As friends, of course," he hastily added.

You smiled gently and nodded. "Of course!"

*******