- chapter 13 -

(unedited)

With a burst of amber colored light, Ningguang rose. Stretching out her hand, she focused that energy, a large golden chakra forming before her. Around the chamber, crystals were circling the perimeter, forming a circle in front of the structure. A blue light shot through each of them, creating an even larger platform. The sheer force pushed all nearby away, causing you to shield your eyes, returning to a fighting stance.

Closing her eyes, Ningguang altered her movements, summoning three smaller circles. From each of these, a translucent blue Guizhong Ballista rose. Your eyes stung as you watched the three inhuman adepti change course straight towards them.

Already accustomed to the weapons, they immediately began firing towards the god. You blinked back memories from the War, focusing on the current situation. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see Xiao doing the same.

Suddenly, a dark mist appeared at the front of the platform, condensing into a portal. Fatui rushed out, heading towards the ballista. Which was, needlessly noted, once again, by Paimon.

You sprinted towards the intruders, eyes flashing. You would not let the Fatui filth harm Guizhong's legacy in death, either.

With your spear, Fatui are falling, vanquished. Looking up at a peculiar sound (thank you for your wonderful observation yet again, Paimon), you spot Osial, in the middle of conjuring a large sphere of water, presumably a bomb.

"That is Osial's divine power." Xiao's voice brings you out of your stupor, glancing at him. "I am...very familiar with it. Be careful not to get hit."

And that would have been good advice, if you hadn't proceeded to do just that.

The scream of your name dragged you out of the haze of pain, muttering an "I'm fine. Keep fighting, don't get distracted!" Desperation fuels your voice, and Lumine reluctantly returns to the fight against the Fatui. You catch Xiao's glance, and nod, showing him that you're okay. He narrows his eyes, but turns away (even more reluctantly than Lumine, given your history of bad ideas).

"There's so many Fatui," Paimon yells. "We can't hold-"

She stops, speechless, as each of Lumine's attacks begin producing shockwaves.

"Haha, were you about to say "we can't hold them," children?" Madame Ping's voice is full of mirth, even at this grave moment.

"This is adeptal energy?" Paimon scans around herself, shocked. Even her movements were forming shockwaves!

You quirked an eyebrow, suddenly imagining Paimon as an adeptus. Just a singular gust of wind would blow her away! (NOT THE TIME Y/N)

Your wound began to slowly sting you more and more, causing you to slightly wince in pain.

Ganyu began to speak. "With the power of the Qilin, I guard you against evil!" Her voice strengthens, power coursing through it. "Cast your fear of injury by the wayside and fight with all your might! I, too, did this during the Archon War!"

You thanked Ganyu as your wound closed, returning to the fight.

Another voice sounds from behind you. "My name means swiftness,'' Xiao casts a look at the traveler. "Take my power and run as I do." Lumine's eyes widen at the sudden rush, and Paimon nearly trips (in the air?) off of the platform.

It was now your turn. "With my blade, I grant you the power of the constant freeze!" At that moment, Lumine's blade pierces a Fatui, and his scream is cut off as he freezes solid. "Woah," Paimon whispers. You continue. "In the Archon War, this gift was once used against many forms of pain. While it is bestowed upon you, you will feel none."

"Child, you are strong in body and spirit. Perhaps you can withstand four forms of adeptal energy at once." Madame Ping proclaims gravely.

Once you finish, Osial seems to rise higher. Ganyu looks up, worriedly. "Exercise caution! I fear that the god's power has reached its peak.."

"In other words, if we hold here, there's nothing worse to come, right?" Keqing remarks, with a glance at Ganyu. As everyone refocuses, she is left with no response.

"The interlopers are no more," Moon Carver announces, raising his head towards the darkening sky. "Now we may commit ourselves fully!"

The ballistas focused the adeptal power into a large sphere, blasting it at Osial. The god faltered but quickly resurfaced, even larger than before.

"It's working!" Paimon yells. "We just need to keep it up!"

However, the three heads of Osial could also do party tricks. They summoned their own sphere, larger than the adeptal sphere, and shot a beam straight into the sky.

Dark, foreboding clouds started gathering, and water slammed down onto the platform. The force was enough to start cracking it, and everyone began to run towards the Jade Chamber, successfully making it onto the concrete surface.

Well, except for Lumine.

Along with some Millelith soldiers, she had fallen from the cracked platform as well. As Xiao disappeared to save the soldiers, you instantly jumped from the falling ballistas to save Lumine. Grasping her shoulders, you teleported the both of you back onto the Jade Chamber.

Upon your appearance, you saw the adepti and Qixing had already been gathering there, preparing to devise a new strategy on how to defeat the water god.

"The Guizhong Ballista has been destroyed." Cloud Retainer began. "Without it's covering fire, retaliation shall be difficult."

"But the Jade Chamber is our last line of defense!" Ganyu retaliated. "We can't give another inch, no matter what!"

Everyone looked around at each other, before you began to speak.

"There's only one way to subdue that god." You said.

"What would be that 'way'?" Cloud Retainer asked, looking at you skeptically.

"Direct combat."

And with that, you took a leap-- straight into the arms of the ocean. 

----

a/n

oof short chapter but interesting stuff coming up, trust me :))

also hello the new archon quest?? literally made me fall in love with xiao all over again omfg 

cutscene was dope but the best part about it was the music 100% youre not convincing me otherwise

the wait for the next chapter will be quite short and you'll see why in a bit lol