Kabanata 25

Sunset

"I just really need a place to crash in for tonight," halos bulong na sabi ko habang nakaupo sa kahoy na sofa nila Luci at tinatanggap ang isang baso ng tubig mula sa kanya.

"What happened? Does Tita Helen and Tito Gilbert know about this? Tatawagan ko sila," Luci worriedly said.

The way that he almost kneeled in front of me just to level with my vision touched my heart warmly.

"No please, they should not know that I'm here," namamaos na sabi ko.

I really want to inform Tita Helen and Tito Gilbert about this too, kaya lang baka totohanin ni Dad ang banta niya. Ayaw ko na magkagulo pa ang lahat dahil lang dito.

Luci went silent for a while as he searched for answers on my expression, kalaunan ay napabuntong-hininga na lamang siya at napatayo mula sa pagkakaluhod sa harapan ko.

"Let's go then, you need to rest." He held my wrist gently.

Napakagat ako sa labi ko habang hawak niya ako paakyat sa wooden staircase nila.

May guest room ba sila? Or if wala, do I get to sleep on Luci's room?

"I'm sorry, hindi pa kasi nalilinisan ang dalawang guest rooms," he muttered when we reached their second floor.

"Uhmm... matutulog ba ako sa kwarto m-mo kung gano'n?" I tried to meet his gaze but the feeling of my cheeks flushing had me pinning my stare on the floor.

"Gael is not here so there are two rooms available."

Oh, akala ko pa naman...

Nang nag-angat ako ng tingin sa kanya ay seryosong titig niya ang sumalubong sa akin. His gaze was too serious and the way that he towered over me made me feel like he's condemning me for what I just asked.

"Oh, okay then, doon na lang ako matutulog sa kuwarto ni Gael?" I chuckled to hide the embarrassment I felt because of my question earlier.

His eyes narrowed, and I caught how his jaw clenched. Napatikhim ako.

"No, you'll sleep in my room," he said, his voice almost in a low guttural growl.

"Y-you mean we'll sleep to-together?" bahagyang nanlaki ang namamagang mga mata ko dahil sa gulat at lito.

He leaned on the wall near the door of his room. Amusement danced in his brooding eyes before it faded and he massaged the bridge of his nose like something's funny and frustrating at the same time.

"You'll sleep in my room and I'll sleep in Gael's room," marahan niyang paliwanag.

Kumunot ang noo ko.

"But why? It's your room, baka hindi ka komportable? Doon na lang ako sa kuwarto ni Gael, and I won't use his bed, maybe you can lend me a comforter para doon na lang ako sa-"

"You'll be sleeping in my room, Cara. No more buts, you have to rest," he said with finality as he opened the door of his room for me.

Napanguso ako at pumasok na sa kwarto niya. His natural scent mixed with the smell of his manly perfume was what greeted me when I was finally inside.

Napalingon ako sa kanyang naroon pa rin at nakasandal sa hamba ng pintuan. From where I was standing, I saw how his intense gaze stayed on me.

He looked so serious and restless. The dim lighting of his room painted half of his features while the other half was embraced by the darkness of the shadows.

"Just call me when you need something, I'll just be staying next door," his low voice echoed across his silent room.

My breathing almost hitched.