Chapter Ten

At the sound of the bell on the front door of the flower shop, Gretchen paused arranging a bouquet and looked up. She smiled when she saw Albert step through the door. "Done already?" She asked, returning to fixing the flowers.

"I made sure ta sell early so I could come see ya." Albert walked over to her and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. Now that she thought about it, his stack was unusually small when she came to buy her paper.

"Well, I appreciate you coming to visit, but I do need to work. So I can't give you much attention until I get a break," Gretchen informed her boyfriend.

Albert sighed dramatically, taking a seat on the tall stool behind the counter. "No! I like it when ya give me attention!"

"I know." Gretchen glanced back at him with a slight smile. "Just let me finish my work, okay?" Albert fell quiet behind her; he must have found something to distract himself. Gretchen continued her work, tying up the bouquet with a bow and setting it aside for the customer who ordered it.

Gretchen's day dragged on and on. Customers came in and out of the shop, and Gretchen had several orders to fill. It had been a long time since the shop was this busy. By noon, Gretchen was already exhausted. To her surprise, Albert had been sitting quietly on the stool all morning, not disturbing her. Gretchen bustled about, helping customers and tending to all the plants scattered about the store.

"Are ya gonna stop for lunch?" Albert asked quietly once the shop was empty.

Gretchen shook her head. "No, I have a few more orders to fulfill, some plants to repot, and then some more to actually plant.

Albert groaned softly. "Why're you so busy?" He stood up from his stool and started toward the door.

"You're leaving?" Gretchen asked, watching him.

"Nah. I'll be right back." Albert shot her a slight grin as he slipped out the door, rounding the corner, and disappearing.

Gretchen sighed a little, continuing to do her work silently. Albert was gone for what seemed like a very long time. While he was gone, several customers came to pick up orders. Gretchen didn't know why the shop was so busy; it wasn't even wedding season yet.

Finally, Albert returned, holding two small paper bags. "This is yours," he said, handing her one of them.

"What's this?" Gretchen opened the bag, the smell of cinnamon and freshly baked bread immediately drifting out. She reached in and pulled out a warm cinnamon roll.

"It's ya lunch," Albert explained. He settled back on his stool and took a bite out of his own cinnamon roll. "Now you can eat wit' me. Take a break."

Gretchen had to admit, it was an enticing offer. But she needed to work. "Thank you, Albert. But I gotta keep working." She took a bite and did what work she could with one hand. Albert fell silent again for a while. Gretchen finished her cinnamon roll and continued working, She told him to watch the store while she was in the back room. But as she was repotting some plants, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist.

"Stop workin' so much," Albert said softly, resting his chin on her shoulder. "You need a break." He brushed some potting soil off her apron.

"I have to get paid, Albert. You of all people should understand that," Gretchen said, sighing a bit. She wanted to give in, she really did. But she couldn't. Albert just huffed and didn't say anything, watching her work.

"Are you done yet?" He asked impatiently after a few minutes. Gretchen shook her head and continued working. He placed a light kiss on her shoulder.

Gretchen found it getting much harder to resist him. "I need to work and you're distracting me," she said softly. She didn't trust her voice to stay steady at normal volume.

Albert proceeded to plant small kisses on her face, practically begging for attention. "Let me distract you," he said, his voice low. His tone made Gretchen want to stop working and kiss him. She turned to face him, and in response, Albert smirked slightly. He backed her up against the work counter and leaned in to kiss her, but Gretchen stopped him when she heard the bell on the front door.

"I-I gotta get that," Gretchen said, her face turning red as she imagined what could have happened. She hurried out to the front, but she heard Albert curse disappointedly under his breath as she left the room.

~~~~~
thank you for reading!!! :)