Chapter Fourteen

Ms. Ferguson had quickly caught on to Gretchen and Albert's relationship, so she had been making sure to send Gretchen to get a paper more regularly. Both Gretchen and Albert were grateful for this because it meant that they got to see each other during the workday, which was a relief for them.

Gretchen smiled as Ms. Ferguson placed the change for the paper in her hand. "I'll be back soon," she promised as she went to leave.

"Tell Albert I say hello," Ms. Ferguson called as Gretchen left.

Gretchen's smile widened the closer she got to Albert's spot. She loved going to see Albert during work. Just the sight of him could brighten even her worst day. She turned the coin over in her hand, giving her fingers something to do along the way.

When she could see his spot, she stopped. Albert was talking with Monroe. Gretchen tried not to think the worst. It's not that Gretchen didn't trust Albert, but she wasn't the fondest of Monroe. The girl had always seemed a bit suspicious to Gretchen, despite Albert saying she was just a friend. So, she stood and watched the two for a moment, hoping she didn't see anything that would tell her to turn and leave.

They were laughing, undoubtedly about some inside joke they both shared. When the two of them finally calmed down, they had a short conversation. It seemed like it was about something serious, but not too serious. Albert's back was to Gretchen, but she could tell Monroe was smiling a bit. Monroe and Albert talked, then they embraced. It seemed friendly enough to Gretchen, but she was still on edge, her heart telling her to think the worst. She watched as Monroe stood on her toes and planted a kiss on Albert's cheek. And he did nothing to stop her, nothing to push her away. He just hugged her again.

That was all Gretchen needed to see. Angry, she turned and began to walk quickly back towards the shop. Albert must have turned around, because she heard him calling her name. Gretchen didn't look back and kept walking, ignoring him.

"Gretchen!" Albert shouted again. His voice was closer; he must have been following her. So Gretchen picked up the pace. She didn't want to talk to him, she didn't want to see him, and she didn't want to listen to him try to explain. "Gretchen, slow down!" Albert called.

Gretchen didn't slow down. She set her jaw, continuing to walk. She only stopped when she felt Albert grab her wrist. Spinning around, she pulled herself out of his grasp. "I don't want to hear it!"

Albert stopped, surprised. "Hear what?" The smile he had on his face quickly disappeared.

"I saw you and Monroe. I trusted you, Albert! But I should have known that she'd try and take you from me," Gretchen said angrily.

"Monroe? Wh-...she knows that we're together," Albert replied, still very confused. But Gretchen saw right through him.

Gretchen scoffed lightly. "I've seen the way she looks at you. The least you could have done was to push her away! Not hug her again!"

Realization suddenly dawned on Albert as he realized what she was talking about. "No, Gretchen, that was-"

"I said I don't want to hear it!" Gretchen exclaimed. "I've seen the way you look at her, too. Don't try to deny it. I just don't know why I didn't do something about this sooner." She sighed sharply. How could she be so stupid? She knew something like this was bound to happen.

"If you'll just let me explain," Albert started, taking a step closer to Gretchen.

Gretchen shook her head, cutting him off. "I just need to be alone right now," she said, turning on her heel and walking the rest of the way to the flower shop. Albert didn't go after her.

How could he do this to her? Gretchen had guessed that Monroe would end up making a move on Albert at some point, but she didn't think it would be so soon. Or in a place as public as Albert's spot. Gretchen knew they sold together sometimes, and Albert had told her that he and Monroe were only friends, but Gretchen never believed a word of it. Albert would probably choose Monroe over Gretchen, and the happiest weeks of her life would come to a screeching halt. And Gretchen would understand why. Monroe was everything Gretchen wasn't. She was tough and had grown up with Albert. She was confident and carried herself well. She was absolutely beautiful, even though Gretchen had never seen her in something other than her selling clothes. She had a hold on Albert, one that Gretchen never had. It all made sense, and Gretchen had entered into a relationship with a boy who was obviously taken by someone else. She was much more stupid than she thought.

~~~~~
oooh drama
thanks for reading!! love y'all!