Chapter Nineteen

Gretchen woke up a little late the next morning. She left her bedroom after getting dressed and stopped in the kitchen to grab some food. Her mother was preparing her brothers' lunches for the day.

"Take some bread, too," her mother said. "I know you don't eat much while you're there, but take some. It's freshly baked."

"Thank you, Mama." Gretchen nodded gratefully and put a piece of bread in her small basket. "I'll be back at my regular time." Gretchen began to leave, but her mother stopped her.

"I know that Albert is still in the hospital, but you need to go back to work soon, maus," her mother said. Gretchen smiled slightly when her mother used her nickname. "I know Ms. Ferguson could use the help."

Gretchen nodded slowly. "Give me just a few more days, please. He'll wake up soon, I know he will. And once he's awake, I can go back to work."

With a small sigh, Gretchen's mother nodded once. "Okay. Make sure you share your food with your friends. Have a good day." She kissed Gretchen's head and smiled a bit.

"I will, thank you." Gretchen smiled back and left the apartment. The morning air was already beginning to grow warm. Gretchen hated that she was late, but at least she wasn't too late. She had been in a much better mood since making up with Monroe. Although Albert was still asleep, things didn't seem quite as dismal as they had before.

On her way, Gretchen stopped to buy a paper from one of the newsies. She hadn't learned all their names yet, but she was sure she would eventually. She skimmed the front page of the paper as she began walking again, her eyes widening when she saw the date at the top of the paper.

April 17. Two days before Albert's birthday. She hadn't even thought much about it, but now she had to remind herself to get him a present. Whether he would be awake or not, she planned to spend the day by his side. She would have to remember to buy him something on the way home that day. She wasn't sure what, but she had all day to figure it out.

Gretchen entered the hospital and said hello to the familiar nurses as she made her way to Albert's room. She had remembered to bring a book that day so she could distract herself a bit. Sitting in silence next to her hospitalized boyfriend for several days had not helped her mental health. She needed something to think about other than what would happen if Albert didn't wake up.

The one thing she didn't expect to see when she turned the corner and entered the room was Albert sitting up, awake. But there he was, speaking quietly with a nurse. He wasn't sitting up fully, and he was being propped up by pillows, but he was awake. Gretchen almost dropped her basket in surprise.

Albert turned to her, and his gaze immediately softened. He gave her a half-smile. Gretchen tried to return it, but she couldn't see very well as relieved tears welled up in her eyes. "You're awake," Gretchen finally whispered as the nurse excused herself from the room.

"I'm awake." Albert's voice was quiet and a bit scratchy from days of not being in use. Gretchen couldn't hold her tears back any longer. She let them fall as she approached his bedside, afraid this was all a dream. Albert opened his arms for her, and she hugged him quickly, trying not to hurt him.

"You're okay," Gretchen said softly, trying to reassure herself of the fact. Albert only nodded, still keeping his arms wrapped tightly around her. Gretchen did her best to avoid his side, where he had been stabbed. Eventually, she pulled away, taking a deep breath.

"Albert," she began, "I am so sorry. I'm sorry for doubting you, and for not letting you explain what happened with Monroe that day. I'm sorry for overreacting. I should have trusted you. And thank you for saving me. You probably saved my life."

Albert gave a small, modest shrug, then he winced slightly. "Ya don't hafta thank me for that, Gretch. An' it's okay. I should'a tried to see things from your point o' view. You had a right ta' be upset. I'm just glad you're okay. And I'm okay."

Gretchen nodded. "We're okay," she said, taking his hand.

They talked for the rest of the morning. When Race arrived, he quickly caught up with his best friend before running to tell the other newsies that Albert was awake and well. The afternoon was full of laughter and smiles, something they all had been deprived of in the past several days.

~~~~~
thank you for reading!
I love happy chapters, they make me happy when I write them :)