In the right place (Din Djarin)

Lightning struck and thunder followed right after. The brief moments of light outside revealed rocks and dust which was all you had seen for days. Another rumble deafened every other noise. A good night's rest was not on the menu it seemed.

The only positive aspect the thunderstorm had was that the temperature fell rapidly. Having sweat all day, fresh air was definitely welcome, although you could already feel a freezing wind picking up, trying to create a direct contrast to the extreme weather before.

"You should come deeper into the cave before lightning grills you."

"You should do that." You scoffed and held your nose into the cool breeze. "I'm not the one wearing metal armour."

"Beskar." He corrected you. You couldn't help it to annoy him from time to time. It was almost too easy to bother him.

He deserved it, or so you told yourself. It had been two months since you made the Mandalorian's acquaintance. It wasn't your hobby to save people from predicament but seeing him fighting off five heavy build guys while simultaneously protecting his baby, gave you the idea to help. Afterwards he insisted on them being indebted to you and though you agreed, you questioned if your paths would ever cross again. Having them show up at some unpredictable point in your life didn't seem desirable to you and you had planned to leave the planet anyway.

Grumpily the Mandalorian accepted you coming with them and after a while learned to appreciate having you around. Although you doubted he did so today, since the heat let you sweat through your clothes. You had sniffed your shirt in secret and knew exactly that you weren't the most pleasant to be around.

Subtly you took a step to the side.

"Are you okay?"

You nodded. "Sure, why not?"

He took a step towards you, but you had learnt to read his actions. Despite the helmet you could guess his mood and intentions almost every time. "Because you have been avoiding me all day." This time he was upset, wondering if he did something wrong.

Apparently, you hadn't been as subtle as intended. "It's nothing personal."

He stayed persistent. "Do you want to talk about it?"

You laughed out loud. How could you tell him such a primitive, such a...girly reason for keeping your distance? It would be even more ridiculous than the whole setting of you travelling with a trained fighter on a mission.

Shaking your head, you assured him that you weren't laughing at him. You imagined that without his helmet you would see him narrowing his eyes at you, not sure if you were telling him the truth. "Don't worry, Mando." You crossed your arms. As predicted, it had become cold, but you weren't ready to leave the sight of raw nature happening right before your eyes.

"Are you cold?"

"Mh, a little."

Before you could react, Mando hugged you from behind, trying to stop you from shivering. "Stop wiggling!" He tried to hold you closer.

"Mandoooo" you whined but ceased resisting. "I smell terrible."

"Wait..." he chuckled. "is that why you were avoiding me?"

You bit your lip. "Noo." You lied.

He leaned his head on top of yours. Surprisingly, the hard helmet didn't bother you at all.

"So, we can stay like this?"

Mando was warm and you felt safe. You often questioned your purpose on this journey with him and the child, but in that moment, there were no doubts in you. Snuggled up with the Mandalorian in a dusty cave was where you were supposed to be. And you wouldn't have it any other way.