The Future (Din Djarin)

Metal screeching. Several thuds. A roaring engine. Creaking. Lots of creaking. And then... silence.

You didn't rush outside to see what was up. This wasn't the first time a ship had more crashed than landed near the workshop. Sure, usually those ships made one or two of the sounds you just heard instead of all of them. Sure, it was not like you had much else to do. Sure, it wasn't unusual that you were on the ship that crashed. But you had just brewed yourself a nice cup of tea and planned to enjoy it. Maybe the pilot had not planned to come to your workshop and just coincidently landed nearby? Then again, they would still come and look for anybody nearby and you knew too well that there weren't many, if any, people around.

It didn't take long for someone to knock at your door. Slowly you rose from your armchair and approached the entrance. It opened with a hiss and you instantly smirked.

"Hi.", a modulated voice greeted you, followed by a coo muffled through a bag.

"If it isn't my favourite employer." You mused. "Hey there, Mando. I should have-" an upset babbling interrupted you. "Sorry, hi kid." You took a deep breath before turning back to the Mandalorian. "I should have known."

"Known what?" he tilted his head. It was hard to tell if you would be mad at him or just resigned. Anyway, he had looked forward to seeing you again. One day wasn't a lot and you were fine by yourself, alright, but he still preferred to keep the separation short.

You took a sip from your cup before answering. "That only you can fuck up a ship so bad while being away for one day."

"Wait till you see it." There was no way for him to conceal the damage that had been done. Carefully he watched your expression and was surprised to find you giving him a smirk.

"So, you're not denying anything?"

You made your way back inside, putting down the tea and with it the hope for an uneventful day, and grabbed a couple of tools.

Mando cleared his throat. "I wasn't interrupting anything, was I? I could delay the repairs..."

Raising an eyebrow, you shot him a knowing look. "Can you really? Because I hate repairing the ship while in hyperspace."

He followed you outside, a few steps behind, but not too far away for you not to hear him mumbling: "This could have been avoided if you had come with me, you know?"

Refusing to stop you approached the Razor Crest. "A brilliant mechanic doesn't make up for a reckless pilot, you know?"

Mercilessly you ripped off a piece of metal from the ship that was sticking out weirdly. "Also, I can provide for myself."

Mando stepped next to you, knowing too well that you didn't appreciate people coming in your way while working. "I never said you couldn't."

"Good for you." You murmured and focused on the damage while he walked away, chuckling about the harmless threat. Of course, your stupid heart had to skip a beat upon hearing the adorable sound. You tried to focus on the job. It would take a couple of days to fix the exterior. Maybe Mando would help. Maybe he had to wander off and make some money. Then it would take a week. Possibly you could make it take a week anyway.

Since you had arrived on Tatooine two days ago, Mando had gone off for some job, taking the kid with him for whatever reason. You had stayed with Peli, making some money by supporting her in the workshop. It was supposed to be a short-term stay, nonetheless you found yourself enjoying the routine you had developed in the short time.

"Aren't you tired sometimes?" You asked after a while. Mando didn't answer, waiting for you to explain what you meant. After watching you work, and the kid play for about an hour he had decided to try and offer help. "Going from planet to planet." You continued. "Having a mechanic on board and still needing to crash on planets to get someone else's help because I cannot fix everything, especially not while flying."

He thought about it for a minute. You were used to him being thoughtful and taking some time to come up with a response.

"I have to return the kid."

You nodded. "And then? You know... I'm just wondering...why do you even need me if you can come to Peli whenever."

"You do the repairs without giving me...parenting tips."

And just like that you laughed out loud. The honest and careless sound didn't help Mando with his mission to stop trying to make sure you wouldn't even do as much as consider settling somewhere without him. It was unfair, he knew that. It was your life and your decisions, but he almost wished the journey with the kid would last for a long time.

You couldn't help but think how easy it was for him to make you laugh. Every time he showed up, you would suddenly find yourself much more joyful than you had been before on that day. It wasn't easy to admit but you were aware that he made you happy.

Later that day you took a break, sitting on top of the Razor Crest, staring at the sunset. Tatooine was a nice place if it wanted to be. Heavy footsteps approached, disturbing your admiration of the sand planet. It wasn't necessary to turn around, you'd recognise Mando's footsteps anywhere. Slowly he lowered himself next to you, following your gaze.

"You like it here." He raised his voice towards the end, but it still wasn't a question.

With a sigh you thought of an answer. "I just like the idea, you know? Imagine getting used to something. Finding things you like and don't like and learn to live with them."

Mando nodded, the only indication that he had listened to you. You patiently waited for him to react further.

"Once we have found the Jedi," he started after another minute had passed, "what would you like to do?"

The two of you had never spoken about what would come after, but since you had brought it up earlier, it was time to discuss the topic. "I'm not sure, Mando. I know I've spoken about being tired of going from place to place. Then again, I have no idea if I would like not doing that."

"I suppose we have to find out." He hoped you didn't hear the shaky breath he had to let out after saying that.

Surprised you looked at him, the sun reflecting beautifully on his beskar. "We, hm? Can't live without your personal mechanic."

"You are much more than that." Hesitantly he took one of your hands in his, the gloves being comfortably warm around your fingers. "And while I do enjoy the amenities of your profession, it might be you I cannot live without rather than your skills."

The brightest smile spread on your face. How knew that Mando could actually be romantic! "I'm glad you feel this way." You leaned your head on his shoulder. "I can't wait to find out what to do with our lives together."

The rest of your break was spent like that. Snuggled up on the Razor Crest, hesitantly making plans for the future. And both of you could hardly wait for what the future would hold.