Chapter 14: Past

8 years ago...

Phoenix

"You look like you could use a drink." I sat down on the stool, rolling my heeled feet trying to relieve me of the pain I felt, only a few more hours, I thought. I looked up at Tabitha behind the bar, my best and only trusted friend in this place.

She stood there cleaning glasses awaiting my answer, I just nodded and instantly she smirked before turning around and pouring some tequila into a shot glass and placing it in front of me.

I sighed thankfully, she knew me enough to know that I wasn't much of a talker, I was here to make my money and leave. It was a dog eat dog world out there and every woman was for themselves, but Tabby, she was a good one. But sadly, we had a lot in common.

I took hold of the shot glass before throwing back the clear fluid, I instantly made a face as I felt the taste envelope my senses and the burn throb through my throat. I heard her chuckle discreetly. "Well you'll be happy to know, abuelita made your favourite. Breakfast when we get home?"

I couldn't help but smirk at the thought of the mountains of food abuelita probably had sitting ready for us when we got home at 4am. However, we both knew my smile never lasted long, especially when I saw her eyes widening a little looking directly at me.

I raised an eyebrow before she moved closer to me, looking around to ensure no-one else was watching. She pointed to the earpiece she was wearing and immediately I knew what was coming.

"G, wants to see you. She didn't say what for but it seemed urgent." Without missing a beat she poured some more tequila in my glass, I gulped it down once again before harshly placing it down against the bar.

"Thanks T, if I don't come back to the bar, I'll meet you out by your car."

I watched her throat bob up and down as she gulped. There wasn't much that spooked Tabby, that woman was as hard as they came but from when she wanted to see me, anyone in the right mind would be a little weary.

I tapped the bar top, swirling around on the barstool before standing up, rolling my shoulders back and walking through the crowd of lustful eyes and hungry men. I ignored every stare as I walked through in my lingerie clad body and my stiletto heeled feet.

I found myself outside of her office, there were so many thoughts running through my mind and none of them were positive. There were only a few reasons why she would pull you into her office on a night you were working, and none of them were to tell you that you were 'stripper of-the-month'. I balled my hand into a fist and just as I was about to knock the door, I heard her voice.

"Enter."

I breathed a deep sigh before opening the door and walking over the threshold. Just like I thought, the back of her high back chair was facing me but I could see her burgendy sleeves resting on the armrests. She was facing a wall of screens, showing every inch of her club. She was a watcher - voyeur, if you will - she liked to know the ins and outs of her club, top to bottom, there was nothing she didn't know and that was what scared me the most.

"Close the door behind you."

She spoke in her usual stoic tone, she always had this sterness about her that ensured you that she was not to be messed with. I walked over to her desk, she never once turned around to look at me but just waited for me to appear before her. I stood waiting for her to make the first move because that's what she expected of you, you weren't to speak unless you were spoken to.

Slowly I saw her chair begin to rotate and finally it unveiled her. She sat there in complete austerity. Her hands were folded together and her elbows were still sitting comfortably on the armrests. Her tanned skin was as flawless as ever, her eyes were so blue they were almost seethrough but her burgendy hair flowing all around her reminded me of how dark she was inside.