Chapter 10: Part 1

Pheonix

"You might be done but I'm not. This conversation isn't over."

"Move from my fucking door Zenone!"

I growled angrily as my nostrils flared, I pushed against him as much as I could. I was running on complete adrenaline and I knew that would soon decrease. His face was cold and angered as he placed both hands on my front door pushing back against me, even though I knew he wasn't pushing with his full strength.

"Hell fucking no! Not until you tell me what the fuck you're talking about. I'm not leaving Phoenix. Not until you tell me everything."

All I could feel was the anger and resentment coursing through my veins as I looked at the angered man in front of me. I couldn't see anything but him and the memories of that day, the day I left and ran to him because that's what he asked of me.

And that damn phonecall, all those years ago. The night that my demons were hitting me the hardest and I begged to every single higher power there was to bring him back to me, and he did. But it was just another lie.

"Will you have me Maya? Do you want to start our life together in New York, MAYA?" I harshly mimicked his words that he told me that night. I looked at him with my eyes blazing with fury and my heart hammering with resentment. I was finally about to face the only demon I could ever tolerate.

Zenone fucking Valenti.

The boy who had my heart and stomped on it and the man who thinks he can waltz back into my life and be the hero I always needed. Well fuck your hero-complex Zenone, because you're the only person I need to be saved from.

His eyes softened from anger to confusion and then finally, realisation.

"I'm going to give you the world and all the fucking trimmings. You remember that Zen? HUH? You remember that night when you called out of the blue? After 3 years and told me that in 3 weeks we would be starting our life together."

I released the door and so did he as my eyes never left his. Never cowering, only showing the hatred and resentment that was in my heart for him. We stood face to face, toe to toe, nose to nose. "You remember all of that? I wish I fucking could forget it.

I walked away from him knowing he was standing in the doorway watching me, the memories were coming back to him. I could feel the guilt laying on his face, he didn't know how to handle it and selfishly I didn't feel bad at all. For the first time in nearly a decade, he was going to face me and what he had left me with.

"Maya, it's not what you think -" I turned over my shoulder, angrily chuckling. I felt my hurt begin to burn with anger again. I wanted him to hurt, I wanted him to feel everything that I felt. I wanted him to go through the pain and suffering that I did while he was doing god knows what.

He lied to me. He told me he had plans for us, an apartment, a plan for our life, all I had to do was get there. That's what he said.

"It's not what I think, Zenone?! NO! Because it's what I fucking know!"

I shouted feeling the anger building and building. My chest was rising and falling angrily as I felt every memory come flooding back.

"Phoenix, just let me fucking explain okay?" I shook my head as he walked over the threshold and closed the door behind him.

"No! See, you don't get to do that. You don't get to explain, you don't get to be let off the hook for everything that you did. You fucking lied to me Zen. TO ME, Z!?

You lied and you lied and you lied! You told me you would come back for me. You told me that you had everything set up. You told me you loved me. But none of it was true. NONE OF IT!"