oh, are you really there? (oh, are you listening?)

Beckett huffed as he stood up, brushing off his sweatpants. Today was not his day, and he knew it. All he wanted was to go home and go to bed.

At least then, he wouldn't have to deal with the voice inside his head that was telling him that he wasn't good enough, that he shouldn't be at Keaton, that... that he didn't deserve everything he had. He knew it wasn't true, but it was hard to see past that.

Especially when he was feeling so crappy .

"Beckett?" He turned around to see Vanessa standing in the doorway of the small dance studio. She was wearing one of his sweatshirts and a blue pair of shorts. "You okay?" She asked and Beckett closed his eyes before sighing. "Yeah. I'm fine."

Which was a lie, and he knew it. And if he knew it, Vanessa definitely knew it as well. She raised an eyebrow at him, and Beckett bit down on his lower lip. "Okay, I'm not fine. It's just been a really really long day."

Vanessa nodded before walking towards him. Beckett let out a deep sigh as she stepped closer before opening her arms for a hug. He stares at her for a moment before accepting, and pulling her into his chest. Closing his eyes, he takes a deep breath.

"When you're ready..." Vanessa starts before pulling away so she can see his face and he opens his eyes in response, "I'm here for you." She moves her hand so that it's cupping his cheek and she smiles, soft and concerned. Beckett nods before leaning down and pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

They pull apart a minute later, and he smiles at her. Today had not been his day, and he still wasn't feeling his best, but he had her. And he was grateful for that.