6: Happy Birthday

Jennie

The bar was a relic from another time, wooden counters and tables and chairs that had been scrubbed clean for so many years that they practically shone in the dim light. The jukebox in the corner played classic country songs that Jennie thought she could now vaguely recognize after enough months of listening to country radio. And even though it was still early, at least for any bars that Jennie would have gone to back home, the place was starting to fill up with people, mostly older men wearing flannel shirts tucked behind shiny belt buckles.

Really, the bar was about what Jennie had expected out of rural Montana. But what she hadn't been prepared for was Lisa.

As rough as the bar's interior was, Lisa looked anything but rough. Lisa might deny it, but she had put some effort into tonight. She wore her hair down, the blonde strands hitting her shoulders in loose waves and contrasting with her her maroon button-up shirt. She only had one button undone, but the glimpse of neck that it revealed, and how the shirt hugged her form perfectly, were more than enough to ignite Jennie's imagination.

And her eyes...

Jennie had never seen her wear makeup before, but Lisa had walked out of their shared bathroom in the cabin with thick eyeliner that perfectly highlighted the vibrant golden flecks of her brown eyes. Jennie had to wonder if Lisa always got this fancy for the Huntley bar.

Jennie suspected that she didn't.

Of course, Jennie may have chosen to wear her skinny jeans that night (because they made her ass look amazing) and a low-cut blue shirt (that exposed a generous amount of cleavage). But after all, Lisa wasn't the only one who could look hot in a country bar on a Wednesday night.

Sure enough, when she and Lisa stepped into the dimly lit bar that night, every eye in the bar had been on them.

Sehun, the bartender, had seen them immediately. "Hey! Birthday girl! I've got a drink for you."

He poured out a tequila shot and placed it in front of Jennie. But before she could even thank him, Sehun came out from behind the bar and wrapped up Lisa in his arms. Much to Jennie's surprise, she let him without struggle.

"Lisa, how the hell have you been," his voice rumbled. He picked her up off the ground for a moment, before holding her out at arm's length. "I don't see you a lot for someone who lives thirty minutes away."

Lisa looked at him somewhat sheepishly. "You grew up on a ranch, too. You know how busy things get."

But Sehun just glanced over to Jennie. "Is it just me, or does it sound like she needs a drink, too?"

"Definitely," Jennie said, amused to see that Lisa already looked like she was regretting coming here. "I know it's my birthday and all, but... I think she needs to let loose just as much as I do."

"Well, that is one of the few things that Lisa isn't good at," Sehun said, returning behind the bar and pouring out a glass of whiskey. Jennie noticed it was the cheap whiskey that Lisa loved. She must have been drinking that stuff for a long time, if even her old high school friend knew about it.

"That's not true." Lisa crossed her arms, her voice monotone. "I'm very fun."

Sehun just raised an eyebrow at her. He leaned in towards Jennie confidentially, even though his voice was still loud. "This, coming from the girl who didn't go skinny dipping in the river on the last day of high school like everyone else."

"We had all been drinking," Lisa insisted with a huff. "Someone needed to stay behind, in case one of you started drowning."

But rather than respond, Sehun uncapped the whiskey bottle again and topped up Lisa's drink. "Let's just go ahead and make this a double."