22: Only If You'll Be Mine

Jennie

Surprisingly, to Jennie at least, the wedding was in a church. While neither Irene nor Sehun were religious, they each had a soft spot for customs and tradition. Jennie thought it was ironic that they wanted a church wedding, considering Sehun was also the owner of Huntley's only bar, and Irene could out-swear Jennie. But Jennie reasoned this was yet another manifestation of the dichotomy of man.

Since Lisa was a bridesmaid, Jennie had to find someone else to sit with during the ceremony. But as always, the people of Huntley accepted her with open arms, literally, and she had to migrate from pew to pew just to be able to hug everyone before the wedding began. (She tried to imagine something like this happening in one of the weddings she attended in Seattle and couldn't even imagine this level of community and warmth. It was yet another reason she was starting to think of Huntley as home.) Finally, she was able to settle beside Jaehyun, who had been dating Wendy for several months now and was also orphaned by his bridesmaid girlfriend.

But then the procession began, starting with Irene's mother walking down the aisle. And even though Jennie should have been ready—she had helped her with her tie and driven with her to the wedding, after all—Jennie was still floored when Lisa walked regally down the aisle, her new suit perfectly tailored and highlighting the straight lines of her body, her hair put up in an elegant braid on the back of her head. Lisa was breathtaking, all the more so when Lisa found her in the crowd and smiled.

Jennie couldn't help but imagine what it would be like if this were their wedding, if Lisa was walking up to the dais not as a bridesmaid, but as a bride. She could imagine Lisa standing on the stage like she was now, hands clasped in front of her, watching with expectation as Jennie would be the last in the procession, with her brilliant white dress and her hair coming down onto her shoulders in curls.

She would imagine that Lisa would look at her then a lot like she was looking at her now. Confident, assured, smile bursting with love, and yet with that tiny shiver in the way she breathed that Jennie knew meant she was barely managing to hold herself together.

Jennie needed that day. She needed it soon. She wanted Lisa to be waiting for her on that stage, her eyes vowing a lifetime of love, her words confirming it, her lips sealing that promise for all to see.

But for now, this was Irene's day. Everyone in the church rose together, as Irene walked down the aisle at a steady pace, her dress flowing behind her. Her father held her arm, and he looked over to Irene time and time again with a huge grin on his face. Sehun, in a sharp suit and with a freshly-trimmed hair, watched her with a serene expression that grew into obvious admiration as she joined him on the dais.

The pastor was brief, the vows were short but heartfelt, and the crowd cheered wildly as Sehun swept Irene into his arms and kissed her. Then, to everyone's astonishment, he flung her over his shoulder and began running down the aisle out of the church.

"To the bar!" he yelled, holding his arm out in a fist.

Everyone in the crowd followed behind him toward the reception, which was across the street at Sehun's bar. Jennie shook her head, laughing, as Irene flailed in Sehun's arms (nearly kicking him in the face). He eventually returned her to the ground and grinned down at her.

But Jennie could only spare so much of her attention on them. She looked back to the dais, and sure enough, Lisa was walking toward her, swagger in her step (it seemed to come naturally to her as soon as she put that stupidly attractive suit on). Jennie saw the way Lisa's eyes passed up and down her blue dress, lingered on the not insignificant amount of cleavage that Jennie was showing.

Lisa came up to her with a lopsided smile that Jennie simply had to kiss.

"Hey, handsome," Jennie said, tugging on the lapels of Lisa's suit. She couldn't get enough of Lisa in a suit. "You looked amazing up there."