24: Love And Devotion

Lisa

Lisa's hangover was strong enough the next day to make her thankful they hadn't thrown her party the night before the wedding. Jennie was even worse: sure enough, Jisoo and the rest of her friends had enjoyed a night out on Huntley, complete with pre-drinking and pancakes at Sunmi's diner, followed by dancing and evidently a little too much tequila at the bar. There were reports of arm wrestling and body shots, but Jennie couldn't remember for sure. While her phone was full of ridiculous selfies with Jisoo and others in the bar, the rest was luckily left to alcohol-impaired memory.

Still, thanks to their planning and preparations, Lisa and Jennie were able to have a lazy morning in bed, which they both needed, especially given the flurry of family and friends who were arriving in Huntley. They had all booked every available hotel room in a 30-mile radius, with a few even choosing to stay at a local campground.

But after they had met several people in Huntley and invited Leah to the ranch for the afternoon, they had a few hours back in the cabin to themselves. And even though they had prepared everything and only had to wait for the hour to arrive, Jennie seemed to have other plans.

"Did you confirm with the caterer today?"

"Yes, Jennie. Everything is set up."

"I can't remember if the cake is coming at 2 or 3. Is that early enough? What if it comes too late?"

"It won't. There will be plenty of time."

"What about—"

Lisa brushed Jennie's hair away from her eyes, which seemed to distract her enough to stop her mid-sentence. What worked even better was Lisa kissing her, and pulling her shirt over her head, and leading her back to the bedroom. Jennie had no more questions, at least for a few hours.

But later that night, Lisa laid on her side in bed, facing away from Jennie and the bright screen she was holding in her hand. Lisa had been trying to fall asleep for over half an hour, but the light from Jennie's phone, her more-than-occasional sighs, and Lisa's own excitement made sleep impossible.

She rolled onto her back and opened her eyes, squinting against the light. "Jennie, it's late."

But Jennie kept frowning and didn't take her eyes off her phone. "There's a 50% chance of rain tomorrow. 50%. That's the worst weather forecast in the world. Why do they even bother?"

"There's always uncertainty in the weather," Lisa mumbled. She really was tired and knew that the next day would likely be exhausting, as thrilling as it would be to finally marry Jennie.

"I know, but this is ridiculous." Jennie readjusted herself against her pillow to sit further upright, one of her tanktop straps sliding down her shoulder. "They're literally saying that there's a 50% chance that it could rain and a 50% chance it could not. They might as well just admit that they have no fucking idea what's going to happen."

Lisa curled her arm around Jennie's belly, pulling herself closer and burying her head against Jennie's side. "Either way, it's going to be fine."

"But what will we do if it rains? It's an outdoor wedding. It'll be terrible."

"We rented a tent, Jen." Even Lisa could barely understand the words that came out of her own mouth with how it was snuggled up against Jennie's waist. "We'll just have everyone sit under the tent."

"Yeah, but it'll be too crowded. It'll suck to have three hundred people under that thing."

"Then we'll move them the barn."

"We are not getting married in a barn."

"It doesn't matter if it rains," Lisa said, changing her tactic. "We'll still be married by the end of it."