Chapter Five

The ceiling had exactly fifty-two cracks.

I had been lost in thought and counting them since Lawrence called for Gally about an hour ago.

I knew they were talking about a plan to get in the walls and also me. My two weeks were up. I could finally start helping.

My nose had finally stopped bleeding at least, but Thomas and the other gladers kept circling through my mind.

Thomas, my own brother left me.

I couldn't stay mad at him though. His heart wasn't in the right place.

He was so focused on getting out of that glade he didn't realize what he was sacrificing.

I just hoped that he would be smarter if something similar happened.

The plan of saving them had been all I could think about recently. How are we going to do it? Where are they even?

In the past month, nothing much had changed for me, but who knows what had changed for Thomas and the others.

I hoped they were safe. I hoped they were all still alive.

I sighed and rubbed my temples. All the stress was giving me a headache.

I needed to clear my mind, so I stood, putting on my jacket as I walked out the door.

My shoes were still on my feet. I hadn't taken them off since Doc did the whole angry speech. Maybe he was right. The world wasn't going to wait for me to tie my shoes.

Walking lazily down the hall, I gave curt nods to people passing by and they did the same.

Nearing the training room, I heard a familiar voice.

"Oh Gally, stop it!"

Hearing that voice made my blood boil and my fists clinch.

Brook.

Looking into the door, I saw them circling around each other on the old wrestling mat. In a quick motion, Gally leaped forward and tackled her to the ground.

She giggled and commented on how strong he was or something stupid like that.

I rolled my eyes and cleared my throat. They both look my way.

Gally jumped up and Brook smiled. She was thinking something wicked.

Since when we're her and Gally spending time together?

"Hey Joan," she said in her sickly sweet voice. "Long time no see. If you have came to apologize about breaking my hand, I completely forgive you. Gally told me that you are a freak and can't control yourself sometimes."

Her words hit me like a bullet to the heart.

Would Gally really say that about me? I always thought that he saw me normal. Actually, I felt as though he was the only one who wasn't afraid of me.

All the gladers, Teresa, even my own brother was afraid. But Gally didn't seem to be.

I clenched my jaw until my teeth hurt.

"Is that so?" I glared.

"No, Joan. That isn't what I meant," Gally stepped forward and put his hands out. "I just said that you were created by WCKD to be a monster."

He instantly cringed at his choice of words.

His words were worse than what Brook said. My gut twisted with sorrow.

I could call myself a monster all I wanted, but no one else was allowed to.

"Get on the mat. Now," I ordered.

"What?" They both questioned.

Without answering, I walked forward and took of my jacket, throwing it to the side.

Gally gulped and stepped back, giving me room.

If he was going to say I was a monster, I would give him a reason to. He was obviously faking being okay with what I was, and fighting him was the only thing that would make me feel better right now.

"Say when you are ready," I snapped and leaned into position.

Gally nodded and mirrored my stance.

As we fought, my mind went fuzzy and all I could see was red.

How could he say things like that about me after all I had done for him? He was there for me and I was willing to sacrifice myself for him. I stood up for him. I kissed him. I had feelings for him that I couldn't even explain.

"Joan!"

My name pulled me from the dark place in my mind and I came to.

I had my hand on Gally's throat and was holding him down. His face was turning red and he was hitting my arm, trying to get my attention.

Letting go, I sat back and let him catch his breath.

Glancing at my arm, I could see the silver wires buldging from my skin like veins.

I was slightly scared of what I was about to do to him, but my anger outweighed it by a ton.

Standing, I reached my hand out to help him up. He looked at it and slapped it away.

"Brook, will you leave us for a moment," he asked.

She nodded and gave me a crooked grin.

"And die while you are at it," I spat.

"What the hell Joan?" Gally asked once she was out the door.

"No, what the hell you! You had no right telling her my story. It is in no way yours to tell!" I yelled, putting my finger in his face.

"She was going to find out anyway! Word gets around here pretty fast if you would've opened your shucking eyes instead of fighting all the time. And anyway, I needed to let her know since you broke her hand," he yelled in my face.

"She looked like she was using her hand just fine to me! You know what, you are just getting a little attention from a girl so you are thinking with your dick instead of your head," I grumbled.

"Damn you Joan! If you were smart you would notice that the only girl I am trying to get is you," Gally threw his arms up. "But you are to busy hating me all the time."

"And If you were smart you would see that I love you!" I gasped and covered my mouth, regretting my words.

I think I had finally figured out my feelings for him, but I didn't mean to say it already. I had only known him for month and a few days.

Gally opened his mouth to say something but we were interrupted.

"Guys there are Cranks in the building," one of Lawrence's guys said, standing at the door with wild eyes and a sweaty brow.

He turned and ran out, Gally and I glanced at each other before taking off after him.

•••●●•••

And we are back! Enjoy:)