Chapter Thirteenth

"It's kinda pretty at night," I said and took a sip from my canteen.

Gally and I were currently sitting in a balcony on the edge of the wall. Last month Jasper, Gally and I had found this place and set up a spotting scope.

It had been our job to watch the lab every night and report back if we found anything new.

"Hate to say it, but yeah," Gally leaned back from the spotting scope and sighed. "It is pretty."

It's the same thing every day. If anything Gally and I have memorized their daily routine. Some scientists stay overnight, and the ones that don't come in at six am every morning.

They scan their thumb and then get to torturing the poor immune kids.

Gally sat down beside me and grabbed the canteen from my hands, taking a sip.

He lazily threw an arm around me and I sunk into his side.

With nothing else to do, I started thinking about us. It had been three months since I said I loved Gally. I brushed it off then, but the more time I spent with him, the more I realized I meant it.

Four months with him was enough time for me to fall head over heels in love with Gally.

Of course I hadn't told him. Why? Because I was horrified.

The girl that was created by WCKD to be a killing machine and single handedly killed a large amount of grievers was scared to tell the boy that she loved him.

I sighed.

"What's up?" Gally asked and stood to look out the spotting scope once again.

Now was a good as time as any other. Just tell him.

Come on, Joan. Just say it.

My heart was racing and my palms were getting all sweaty.

"Gally I lo-" I started but Gally cut me off.

"No, it can't be" he exclaimed. "Joan look at this!"

I jumped up and looked out the scope.
There through one of the windows sat an all to familiar girl.

"Teresa," I gasped.

"I think we just found our way in," Gally said with a laugh and threw his arms up in the air.

"Wait Gally," I stepped back. "She was with the others, do you think that means WCKD has the gladers?"

"Thomas was smarter than that," Gally shook his head. "I bet they were separated a while ago. And if that's so, Thomas is probably itching to get back to her."

He was right. Thomas and Teresa had a bond that couldn't be described.

"We found a way in," Gally said excitedly again and grabbed my face, giving me a messy kiss before running out and back down the stairs to get back to base.

"So the girl, Teresa? You know her," Jahndra said. "Why can't you have her help you get in."

After discussing for a while, we have hit a wall.

"Teresa didn't like either one of us. She was scared of me, and well, let's just say Gally didn't make a very good first impression," I sighed and leaned againt the doorframe, thinking about how she hit him in the head with something when she first woke up.

Gally smirked, he must've been thinking something similar.

"Our best shot of getting inside would be to have Thomas. She trusted him and probably do anything for him. They were..." Gally hesitated, looking for the right word, "close."