Chapter Ten

That night was the first night I dreamed since escaping the maze and being deactivated by WCKD.

I was running through the sewers. Sweat was dripping down my face and my heart was racing.

Foot steps and gargling screams followed after me.

Racing around a corner, I was met with a dead in. I yelled out, crying from defeat. The footsteps that were chasing me only a moment ago had stopped, and I felt a hot breath tickle the back of my neck.

I closed my eyes and tears pinched out of the corners.

I let out a shaky sigh and slowly turned. When I opened my eyes again, it was Gally. He had black goo dripping down the corner of his mouth and his eyes were bloodshot. The veins in his neck were black and buldged.

"Gally," I sobbed.

He let out a raspy shreak before jumping on me.

I sat up with a scream. My body was covered in cold sweats and tears filled my eyes.

"Joan what's wrong?" Gally scrambled up and flipped on a light.

"Y-you were one of them and I, I couldn't stop you and," my words were nothing but a jumbled mess.

Gally switched the light back off and crawled into my cot, pulling the blanket off his and covering me.

He wrapped his arms tightly around me and ran his fingers through my tangled hair, slowly working out the knots.

"I'm here Joan," he whispered and kissed my knuckles. "I'm not going anywhere."

His bare chest was becoming wet with my tears, but he still held me close.

He stayed quiet as he continued to hold me, and I let the drone of the distant generators let me calm back down.

"Gally," I whispered. "Tell me stories from the glade?"

Gally cleared his throat and sat up straighter. "What do you want to hear."

"Something happy," I requested.

His brows knitted together as he thought, then a slight smirk came to.

"When I was still a greenie, Newt would always try to cheer us up at night. He would tell us these elaborate made up stories about his past."

"He could remember his past?" I asked with confusion.

"No," Gally shook his head. "That's why they were so elaborate. He told a story about how he saved his entire family during an earthquake and that he had this smokin hot girlfriend. The shank definitely knew how to make us all laugh."

Gally chuckled at the memory.

"And once Frypan gave us all food poisoning when he used old meat in tacos! That clunk was nasty but we ate it still," Gally shook his head.

"And Chuck," Gally's voice broke. "We used to prank the other gladers every chance we got. Then it all changed."

I reached up and put my hand on Gally's cheek.

He sighed and leaned into it, closing his eyes.

I couldn't imagine how Gally still felt about Chuck. It hurt me to think about it, so I must've been awful for him.

"I hate to say it Gally," I sighed. "But I think Chuck went when he was supposed to. He saved Thomas and he would've hated seeing the world. He died nobly."

"He didn't deserve to though," Gally muttered. "The others probably hate me."

"We will see the others again Gally, and I think they understand that you werent in the right state of mind," I said. "I promise."

"I hope," he opened his eyes and smiled.

I slowly pushed my self up and placed a soft kiss on the corner of his lips.

His cheeks turned red and he cleared his throat.

Down below a screech from a crank could be heard, shortly followed by gunshots.

I jumped and Gally pulled me closer, resting his head atop of mine.

"What a world we live in," he scoffed.

"Yeah, but at least we have each other."

I truly don't know what I would do without him. I would've broke down by now. Gally may be insufferable at times and a total know it all, but he has kept me together the past two months.

Gally began tracing the outline of my wires under my skin as I looked at the glow emitting from the city just beyond the walls.

"What do you think it's like?" I asked. "The city."

"Big," Gally pulled me closer.

"A man of many words," I stated and he snorted.

"I think it's nothing like we've ever seen before. Skyscrapers full of people, all pretending that the world isn't klunk just outside the walls. I think that people are controlled by WCKD just like we were, but they don't even realize it. I think that it is just as much as a prison as the glade was," he gulped.

"So you think that the glade was a prison?" I asked sitting up and looking into his eyes.

I didn't want to say I was right, but I kind of did.

"The glade was our home, and honestly I would go back there in a heartbeat if it was like before. But, I do think that we needed to get out and away from WCKD's control. Needed to see all this," he laughed. "Seeing the world makes me hate WCKD even more."

He clinched his jaw and rubbed his eyes.

I hate WCKD. I hate them for what they did to the boys, for what the did to the world, and for what they made me.

I looked down to my wire filled arm and clinched my fist in anger. The metal rose to the surface and looked black in the city's glow.

Gally laced our fingers together and squeezed my hand, kissing the top of my head.

"They will pay," he brushed my hair out of my face. "They will pay for everything."

Leaning my head against Gally's chest, I fell asleep listening to his heartbeat and thinking about all the evil ways we would make WCKD pay.

•••●●•••

And we are back!!!

This was just a filler chapter to ease back into the story, but I thought the fluff was cute.

Happy reading:)