Chapter Twenty

We made it. We finally made it.

I looked out towards the water as the waves rushed up and tickle my toes.

"We did it," I whispered thinking about all the lives lost it took to get us here.

"Yes, we did darling," a voice came behind me.

I turned to see the all familiar limping boy.

Newt wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I rested my head on his.

He glanced down at my arm that was now in a cast and grimaced.

"I'm so sorry," he paused. "For what I did."

I shook my head and began to talk but he cut me off.

"No, let me speak. I'm sorry for what I did, but thank you. Thank you for not giving up on me. And thank you for running back to the lab with Thomas to get the cure. And thank you for making sure he made it out. It was what you are that saved me. You aren't a monster, you really are a savior."

I thought back to how I used all I had to get to Newt in time and give him the serum.

The wires under my skin tingled at the thought of coming alive like that again.

I felt bad for fighting Newt, but he wasn't in the right mind. And fighting him led him to being here now so it was worth it.

Shaking my head, I though about Teresa. "I couldn't save her."

Newt squeezed my shoulder and kissed the top of my head. "Don't hold that, Joan. You saved so many, but you can't save everyone."

"Thomas will blame me when he wakes up,"

"Am I interrupting something," Gally walked up behind us and snaked his hand into mine.

"Not at all, I was just about to check on Thomas," Newt gave me a smile and turned towards Thomas's hut.

"Hey," Gally said and plopped down onto the sand.

I sat by him and cuddled myself into his side.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you," he mumbled.

"What!" I scoffed. "I don't think you can put all the credit on me. It was a team effort, everyone contributed."

"No, I wouldn't. While we were laying on the floor after escaping the maze, I was ready to give up. I was ready to just let go. Nothing was worth it anymore. But then there was you, keeping me there" he sighed.

I shook my head. He was stronger than that, he would have survived and he would be here. I just knew it.

"I love you Gally. So much. And we made it."

"Now what do we do?" he laughed

"Oh I'm sure Thomas will wake up and want to do something stupid to save the world," I chuckled.

"No, now what do we do, as in us," he gestured between us to.

"We live, we live a happy life," I shrugged.

"Let's get married," Gally suggested. "I mean, I know that getting married doesn't really mean anything to the world now, but I want that with you."

I was shocked. Was that the next part of our lives. What else would be the next part?

Would he want to get married and build a hut together and have babies one day?

I was scared at the thought of having a child in this world. We would just have to cross that bridge when we got there.

"Sure," I nodded. "I guess that's next."

Gally placed a kiss on the top of my head and began humming a soft tune.

This would never end, me and Gally on the beach, watching the sun set as the waves passed and the tide rose.

Laughter in the background as the campfires sprung to life and the smell of dinner being cooked by Frypan.

I closed my eyes and all I could hear was the glade. Part of us all were still there. We would never leave.

Thomas would wake and we would have the celebration of those who were no longer with us.

Gally and I would marry and there would be a party with dancing, Frypans cooking, and Gally would make his special drink.

We would live. We would live for those who were lost and we would live to makeup for the life we lost.

But part of us would always be in the Glade.

Always.