Chapter Six

Running out into the hall, people were scampering around like chickens with their heads cut off.

A scream erupted from above us and a man came falling from the stairs, landing at our feet.

I stepped back, unfazed.

My mind was still on what I had said only a few moments ago. I said I loved him. My body seemed to reject the phrase and I mentally was hitting my forehead.

Someone thrusted a gun into my chest and I gladly took it.

"Stay by me," Gally said.

I glanced at him and felt my cheeks turn red with embarrassment.

Without thinking, I turned and ran in the opposite direction he went. He yelled at me but that didn't stop me.

As I ran down the hall, I saw one of the Cranks.

It was missing and arm and had black oozing from its mouth as it bit at a woman who was holding it back. A small child huddled behind her.

Without thinking, I pulled the gun to my shoulder and shot. Black goo splattered the woman's face as the thing dropped to the ground.

She gave me a quick nod and grabbed the kid.

My skin crawled as I took a closer look at the Crank. It used to be a human.

"Ew," I mummbeled and kept going, shooting anything that didn't resemble a living person.

Turning down a hall, I saw two Cranks leaned over what I assumed to be a person.

They both turned my way as I pulled the gun up, but froze.

It was Doc.

That explained the limp and why he had been so strange lately.

"Doc," I yelled. "I don't want to shoot you."

He was inching closer.

I didn't recognize the other one so I put it out of its misery. Now it was just me and Doc.

I was going to have to shoot the man that taught me to shoot. The irony.

"Please Doc," I begged, cocking the trigger.

For a quick moment, I saw his face soften and I let my guard down. And in that moment was when he attacked.

He dove for my legs and let out an unhuman screech.

I fell to the ground and my gun went sliding about a foot away.

Doc clawed his way threw my clothes, trying to bite any inch of skin he could reach. His sharp nails made me scream out in pain.

Drawing my foot back, I kicked him hard between the eyes.

He stumbled back long enough for me to grab my gun and turn back.

He leap on top of me and his black spit dripped onto my cheek. I gagged and shuffled to the side.

Using only one hand to hold him up, he felt light.

As I pulled my gun up and pointed at his head, he stopped fighting me. He relaxed, closed his eyes, and leaned into the gun barrel.

In this moment, I wondered what I would do if it were anyone else. What if it was one of the gladers or Thomas?

I gulped. What if it was Gally?

I knew that this would never happen to any of them. They are immune, but just the idea made me sick.

"Thanks Doc," I whispered.

Without a second thought, I pulled the trigger.

My only father type figure clasped on top of me and rolled to the side.

"Joan," I heard Gally's panicked yell as he ran into the room.

"Are you alright?" He asked and looked down to Doc, turning his head away and closing his eyes at the sight.

"I'm fine," I cleared my throat and blinked back tears. "Did they get all of them?"

"Yes. They took care of them all and blocked of the back door that they came in," he put his hand on my shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze.

"About earlier," he said.

"Yeah let's just forget about that. It was a heat of the moment deal. I probably didn't even mean it," I quickly shrugged and turned away.

Sighing at my quick lie.

"Yeah. That's what I was going to say," he rubbed the back of his head and followed me out of the room.

As we walked down the hall, looking over the damage done, I saw Brook.

"Gally," she gasped and ran into his arms.

Her hair was tangled and her cheek had a gash through it. Blood dripped down her chin and neck.

He looked over at me, then patted her back.

I told myself not to be jealous. He told me he didn't want her. He wanted me. She looked like she needed a hug anyway.

Meet you back at the room, I mouthed and walked down the hall.

"Joan," Lawrence caught me in the hall. "I received a report from my men that you killed at least fifteen Cranks without any difficulties."

I noticed that he was rubbing his arm and favoriting it.

"Yes sir," I nodded. I hadn't counted but I knew that there were a lot. More than I would've liked to admit.

"There were only twenty-four in the building, good work. Keep this up and you may be one of my top men, or women may I say. I am expecting some idea pitches about the wall soon," he said as he turned and walked away.

"Yes sir," it came out as a whisper.

As I passed by the training room, I felt my eyes begin to become hot with tears and my throat tightened.

Rushing the rest of the way to our room, I slammed the door behind myself and collapsed on the ground.

I was just a kid. What did I do to deserve all this?

You are a monster, a small voice in my head said.

I choked on tears and pulled my legs into my chest. I killed so many people. They used to have lives. They probably had family.

And I did it without any hesitation.

The door swung open and Gally came barging in.

"Joan," he mumbled.

"I'm fine," I said through heavy tears and sobs.

He leaned over and scooped me into his arms, picking me up without any difficulties.

His biceps bulged at my weight and I put my head on one.

Carrying me to the bed and laying me down, he crawled in beside me and pulled me into his chest. Rocking me like a child and rubbing circles on my back.

He was the only one who would see me like this. He was the only one I would let see me like this.

"I lied," I whispered between sobs.

"About?" He asked but I fell asleep in his arms before I could answer.

•••●●•••

What do you think she was lying about? Being fine or loving him or both?

Hope you are enjoying and your comments are the best!