1. New

Yeah, even if we're covered in scars
We can smile if we're together

My fists clenched around the straps of my school bag as it got sandwiched between my back and the wall

My fists clenched around the straps of my school bag as it got sandwiched between my back and the wall. I just waited. Waited to be rescued. I didn't make any move myself, like the coward I was. My eyes squeezed themselves shut as the big guy- I couldn't remember his name- grabbed my collar.

And I was frozen.

I waited for the blow to come, for the fist to hit me somewhere, but what came instead was the Rescue Force.

"Hey, back off, Kang."

My eyes flew open as I felt him jerk back.

An exhale escaped my mouth, easing all the tension inside my chest at the relieving sight - him staggering back as she stepped in front of me, staunch and steadfast.

"What do you think you're doing?" he said. I knew he was fighting hard to hide the fear in his voice, but a slight tremor did slip into it.

That's just what my best- and only- friend was like. For some reason I hadn't understood in almost three years, practically all the students in our school were afraid of her. Not that I could blame them, though. The expressionless death stare she gave to those who tried to bully me could make the hair stand up on the back of anyone's neck. But still, I don't think that justifies the creepy rep she's got.

The boy's eyes were now completely devoid of the contempt that had been directed at me, instead filled with edgy nervousness as he looked at her - probably hoping to stand his ground this time. Wouldn't be his first try.

It was only a heavy pause later that she finally spoke.

"Buzz off."

Like always, her voice was velvety but solid, soft yet firm.

The boy shot me a dirty look, not even giving her a second glance before skedaddling.

"And what are you doing still pressed against the wall?" The pair of dark brown orbs settled at my face, a tiny smile slipping onto her mouth. "Come here, pussy cat."

I chuckled, willingly carrying myself toward the outstretched limb. She slung an arm across my shoulders as we commenced our stroll down the hallway. I placed my arm around her shoulders too, mirroring her position. Having been best buddies since the beginning of High School, we were so familiar that her shoulders felt moulded to my arm, and mine to hers.

"So," she began, "for how much longer do you plan on being a coward?"

"I don't need to stop being a coward, I've got you," I grinned, earning an eye roll from her. It came to my notice, not for the first time today, that her hair wasn't tied up - she'd usually fasten it up into a simple ponytail with a simple hair tie. It would be loose only when there were marks on her skin that needed to be hidden.