6. Blood Season

But your wings belong to the devil

The boy looked taken by surprise. Unprepared. His eyes were wide by an almost unnoticeable degree, but the picture didn't fail to catch the fear and uncertainty that filled them. For some reason, I felt like I, in some strange, abstract way, knew how he felt.

All at once, it became too overwhelming. I tore my gaze away from the thumb-sized headshot and looked at the sliding glass doors instead. They were closed at the moment, but I could hear the next train approaching.

It was a mutual thing, between me and Jeongyeon. Whoever reached Bomun station first waited for the other to arrive before setting out for the ten minute long walk to school.

I slipped the photograph into my pocket as the doors glided open and the flurry of passengers left and boarded the metro. Again, no sign of Jeongyeon.

My heart dropped a bit further into my stomach.

Was she going to show up? Was she even alive? Was . . . was last night really the last time we were seeing each other?

No. I immediately denied it. It couldn't be. If I was alive, she was supposed to be, too. No reason for Taeyong to leave me untouched if he'd already harmed her, right?

Right?

I recalled what the brunet wolf-eyed man had said yesterday about how he could help me with the Taeyong issue. Forcing me to take other people's lives didn't sound like any help, though. How was it supposed to protect me against Taeyong? And becoming a part of the . . . well, the organization just made me more of a target for him, I guessed. How was any of this supposed to make sense? And even if it, in some odd, twisted way, did, even if I somehow was protected against Taeyong now, if something was hindering him from coming after me, but not Jeongyeon, did that mean . . .

No. As simple as that. I wasn't going to accept otherwise.

Sighing, I looked up at the digital clock. It was almost time for school. Unusually late of her, but it wasn't as if it'd never happened before. I was probably just worrying for no reason.

But the picture in my pocket, whose presence felt too heavy for it to be real, reminded me that I had no shortage of reasons to worry.

I drew it out again, this time staring at the reverse side. Black and bold permanent ink stared back up at me, more terrifying than the scared expression on the face of the boy, in a way.

온수동
서림동

"Onsu-dong and Seorim-dong. Place of residence and place of probable whereabouts. You'll need that."

I swallowed my saliva. He really did expect me to spend my precious money on fares and travel to the other side of the Han River to do something I didn't even have the mental or the physical capability to do.