5. House Of Cards

No way, no way, no way, collapsing. . . .

My heart skipped a beat

So all in all, just when I thought that it was over and I had attained some level of tranquility, fate laughed at me and decided to just drop another bombshell right over my head.

I gulped, my jaw trembling, as I looked up. The man took off his hood, revealing his face completely. The wolf-like eyes, slender nose and small mouth were all a handsome combination, but the bizarre thing was that it was a shade familiar, too. I'd seen that face somewhere, just a flying glimpse maybe, but I certainly had, and very recently.

"Who are you."

It came out as a statement more than a question. My voice sounded choked, as if he was strangling me already.

It's coming, though. It's surely coming. Just you wait.

"I," the brunet said as he tilted his head to the side, the enigmatic smile appearing in his eyes before it showed up on his lips, "am someone you're gonna either regret or be glad to be meeting."

My throat and tongue were as dry as sandpaper, and even swallowing didn't help. I'd seen him before. Tonight. I was sure.

But where? When?

"Hm. Good. You're scared," the man said soberly, scanning my face. "You're supposed to be scared."

The burning sensation. My eyes. I felt it coming. It was on its way.

I was done for. It was over. They probably wanted me and Jeongyeon to go our separate ways before getting us. She was probably in the same situation as mine, or probably already dying, or probably-

My insides dropped.

Probably already dead.

And I was going to join her. I was going to die too, because I couldn't fight back. I couldn't escape. I couldn't save myself. All I could do was beg for mercy.

So that's what I did.

"Please make it quick." My voice was barely audible even to myself, I doubted that he could hear it at all.

After everything I just went through, the amusement that presented itself on his face wasn't as surprising as I'd thought it would be. But it did bring about the sting of tears anyhow. The brown-haired man stared me down, and my eyes were just on the verge of getting watery before he responded, "I'm not here to kill you, Kim Taehyung."

Wait, what?

He didn't want to take my life? Taeyong didn't want me dead? He hadn't sent this man to kill me? What was he here for, then? What did he want?

And what about Jeongyeon . . . ?

"As long as you do as I say, that is," he added mildly.

So he did want something, that was for sure. But what? What was he going to make me do?