Chapter Six: Enough on Both Sides

A/N: Before I start, I want to thank you guys. I've been getting about twenty reads a day on this story and now, some of are reading from the United Kingdom. Hello from the United States, U.K readers! Also, I know twenty views a day isn't much compared to other writers on this platform, but it's a start. Considering this has been out for less than a week, the amount of views is amazing. So, with one final thank you (thank you), let's get on with the story.

Monday had started as a an uncomfortably hot day. It was nearing ninety degrees in the afternoon and the house did not have air conditioning. Every window was open to get some air flow in the house, but it wasn't doing much. If anything, it was inviting bugs into the house, which Charles kept complaining about.

"Guys! Get down here!" Norman called from downstairs. 

Groaning, you got up from your bed. You were wearing a spaghetti strap shirt and tennis shorts, hoping that light layers would keep you cool (surprise, surprise; they weren't). Unfortunately, the attic was the most humid room of the house, which annoyed you beyond your limits. 

"What?" Jeff grunted from behind you as everyone gathered in the kitchen.

"I know it's hot, but I have something that might help." Norman smiled, placing a plastic Safeway bag on the counter.

Jason pointed at the bag, signaling to hurry up and show off what was inside. He was hot, too, and he drowned in a cold lake. If anything, his body temperature should have been relieving, but he was suffering just as much as everyone else.

Norman reached into the bag and pulled out a package of vanilla drumsticks.

"Oh, thank God!" Billy gasped. He had given up with wearing a shirt, walking around in the house with just his pants. You did your best to keep your eyes averted, not wanting a repeat of dinner on your first night.

Norman tore open the package and handed everyone a cone. Michael ripped off his mask immediately bit into the cone. It was very uncommon for Michael to take off his mask, and this was the first time you had ever seen his face. Jason also took off his mask. You were a bit surprised at first, but quickly got over it. 

Smile wandered into the kitchen, presumably to get some cold water from his bowl, but once he smelled the ice cream, though, his intentions quickly changed. He jumped up on you, knocking you down. Both you and your ice cream hit the floor, only one of you coming out okay.

Your ice cream splatted onto the floor beside you and Smile dove for it.

"Hey, dog, no! Leave my ice cream alone!" You cried, trying to gently move smile to the side. You didn't want to hurt him, feeling that if you did, Jeff would murder you. Literally.

Smile growled and bared his teeth.

"Fine! Have my ice cream! I'll go dump your water out!" You exclaimed.

You got up and grabbed Smile's water dish from the side of the fridge. You opened the window and dumped out the water, making sure to keep eye contact with Smile. Smile didn't care, though. He had ice cream and you didn't. He was living the high life, and you were miserably hot.

"Here," Norman spoke, handing you a new cone.

"Thank you, Norman." You grinned, walking back up to your room. You felt eyes on you all the way up, knowing that someone was looking at you. You had your suspicions that it was Billy.

_________________________

The day only proceeded to get hotter after the ice cream. You stayed in your room, desperately trying to distract yourself from the heat, but nothing worked. You tried reading, writing, even annoying Jeff. As fun as it was, it was pointless. There was no escaping the heat.