Chapter 39 - Moving On

May is at the corner of the street and I’m doing my best to move on. I focus a lot on my work and I even hang out with Havi and Ariel because they are the only ones that I can talk to about what I’m feeling and that can comfort me. Ariel released her first music video and it was a very nice one. She barely appeared though, because she is very uncomfortable on cameras, so instead she had a boy and a girl acting what the song is about. The story of Freedom is quite nice and I was really surprised when Ariel told me it’s actually based on a true story about someone I know: Niall and Ella, the girl we ran into the antique shop. She asks me if she could ever write a song about my story with Liam and I just laugh because what could she write about?

“If you manage to write a song about that, then be my guest,” I reply and she smiles confidently.

“I will write one,” she states and I just shake my head because I can’t imagine a song about what happened between Liam and I. Stories? Yes. Songs? Nope.

Ariel is doing great, which means my father is doing great. Zayn’s friend, Terry McCracken, the author he mentioned when before, is getting her book made into a film and Ariel will write the theme song of this motion picture. She’s scared and excited at the same time and I understand her because I read Terry’s book and loved it. Ariel, and Havi alao read it, loved it and now we are waiting for the film, hoping it’ll be a good one.

Liam… Liam is not doing so fine. I saw him at the wedding and he didn’t act like a jerk, but for some reason in front of the media, he is the biggest jerk. He doesn’t get drunk all the time, but he’s rude to them and fans and stays hidden inside his flat. The American leg is about to kick off and I think he’s taking the whole break thing too seriously. But I try not to care too much because it makes it just too hard to move on and I have to. We broke up, we said goodbye so now all I have left to do is move on with my life. This is how it was supposed to be from the very start.

“So you have a date today?” Havi asks me, bringing me back from my thoughts.

“Oh yeah, with a new teacher that joined us a few weeks ago. My colleagues set us up,” I explain. This is just another attempt to move on. “He’s… nice.”

“You sound awfully convinced, Belle,” Ariel comments and I shrug.

“I don’t really know him, that’s what this date is for. Speaking of,” I say looking at my watch. “I should get going unless I want him to think I’ve stood him up. Wish me luck!” I say standing up from the chair at the café where we came together to catch up.

“Have a good date,” they both wish me and I smile at them.

I leave them and head to the restaurant I was told to meet Steven, the guy I’m having a date with. In all honesty, I prefer going home and just reading some books, but he’s nice and is quite handsome, so I should give it a shot. I’ve learnt that I don’t like being isolated and adventures won’t come to me, I need to seek them out. If I want to meet someone that will lift me off my feet then I have to be willing to have some dates. I can’t expect that someone else will request a girlfriend to meet a new guy.

When I make it to the restaurant I look for this blond, skinny guy that started working as a substitute of Sonja, who’s in pregnancy leave. He waves at me excitedly and I join him with a smile.

“Did I make you wait?” I ask and he shakes his head.

A waitress approaches us and hands us each a menu and I just focus on it, taking my time to decide what I want. I’m not paying the slightest attention to Steven.

“So, what are your interests?” he asks me once we make our order. He smiles honestly, nervously and I notice his crooked teeth. I don’t mind people with crooked teeth, but for some reason it bothers me in Steven. Liam had such a lovely smile that made me feel all warm inside.