Chapter 31 - Ethics

As time passes by, I find myself missing Liam more and more, which is quite unsettling. I actually look forward to his calls and texts and when I talk to him I’m left with a smile plastered on my face. I have to constantly scold myself, reminding me that I’m an adult and this is not how adults should act like. And then the next day when I hear my mobile I ran to pick it up.

I’m pathetic.

And Liam is making things worse to the point it is frustrating. I actually think it would be better if he goes back to the jerk because it was easier for me to keep distance. But if he calls me at night and tells me the things he saw in certain city or how he read and article about given current issue so we can talk about it, I find it hard to resist him. He even calls Zayn sometimes so the three us can chat until very late, when Dean shouts at them they have to go to bed or else.

“I should go to bed, too,” I say out loud after Dean has yelled at them to go to bed for the third time because they have an interview tomorrow morning and they need to get some rest.

“Dean is gonna scolds me tomorrow when he can’t wake me up,” Zayn comments and I chuckle. When I went to see Liam in Paris I noticed Zayn’s heavy sleeper and it’s a herculean task to make him leave the bed, so I do believe him. “I should go to sleep. Goodnight, Belle. You should come to visit us soon!”

“Goodnight, Zayn. Don’t make Dean drag you out of bed,” I reply.

“I promise nothing!” he declares solemnly before leaving.

I know Liam is still at the phone, probably disabling the speaker so no one else can hear us. “I’m sorry for keeping you awake.”

“It’s later for you so I should be the one apologising,” I remind him but I hear him clicking his tongue.

“I don’t mind. Plus, I didn’t understand that law so I had to ask you and well, we got carried away,” he sums up and I smile at his words as I lie on my bed, looking at the ceiling with the mobile pressed against my ear. We’ve been talking for like two hours. “By the way, Zayn is right, you should visit me again. We’re going to Belgium this weekend what if we meet there? Would you like to visit? Think of all the chocolate.”

I laugh out loud, thinking about it. “Don’t tempt me, Liam. I have loads of things to do here.”

“Oh come on, I wanna see you before the holidays. Please, Belle. Please, please, please! Don’t make me wake Zayn to help me begging,” he threatens next and I laugh again.

“Fine, Liam. I’ll go. This weekend, right?”

“Yes! And yes, this weekend. I’ll organise everything like the previous time, however Zayn said that if we go to a museum we have to take him,” informs Liam and I can’t wipe out the smile from my face. “Okay, I’ll go to sleep now. Sweet dreams, Belle. I can’t wait to see you.”

“Sweet dreams, Liam,” I reply, not daring to say that I also can’t wait to see him because I’ve missed him a lot.

All this is getting out of hand because we keep getting along and everything feels so nice between us now. Maybe it’s because he’s away, I don’t know. It’s not that he is nicer to me, but his whole attitude has improved. It’s like he’s feet are back on the ground and now he’s getting even more attention, more love from the fans. For what I’ve seen he is more polite and considerate, yet he’s still confident borderline arrogant. He knows he’s not the little kid from before, the one no one wanted to befriend. He wears that confidence now but he’s not a jerk as he was when I met him. He doesn’t treat people like they are beneath him anymore and he acknowledges his flaws and ignorance.