Chapter 16 - Premiere

On our way to the premiere, Liam keeps nagging me; telling me not to say a word and to let him handle the situation because he has experience. He basically tells me to shut my mouth and look pretty, to be his bloody accessory. I feel rage rising inside of me at his words but I take deep breaths, reminding me that snapping at him won't take me anywhere.

It's just a job. I'm pretending. I ought to be the perfect girlfriend, I repeat in my head what has become my motto. I have to constantly remind myself of this otherwise I'll end up snapping and hurting someone. Most likely Liam. And if I do that, I'll be sued and I can't afford that.

Swallow my pride, chin up and carry on.

"Honey, everything will be fine," I tell him, my hand softly touching his arm. He looks at me with confusion in his eyes and I just smile. Even if we are alone in this car —limousine— I still want him to see I can act and be the perfect girlfriend. "I'll do my best to make you look good."

He only blinks and his mouth opens and closes a couple of time. I supress the grin and just lean in a bit closer. He's warm and strong, but I don't let that distract me.

"There'll be loads of journalists and whatnot, so you have to stay calm. They can smell fear and anxiety, so you smile and pretend they are not there. Let me handle the talk," he insists and I fight the urge to roll my eyes. Something tells me I shouldn't let him handle that. I bet my life he's going to say something obnoxious and gain some haters.

"Smile and look pretty, got it," saying that makes my guts twist and I feel nauseous.

He nods but the frown doesn't leave his features when he sees me smiling like this. My hand is still on his forearm and I start to caress him, as lightly and casual as I can, pretending this is the most normal thing to do. If I can pretend I'm having a good time when no one is watching us, then doing it in public is going to be even easier.

"Aren't you pissed?" he asks and I laugh heartedly.

"Of course no, silly." I'm disgusted with myself. "I know I have a temper but I also have no reason to be mad at you. The past is in the past," I tell him with my best smile and leaning a bit closer.

He doesn't push me away or tries to let go, so I assume he really doesn't mind my proximity. It's not exactly uncomfortable, it's just unnatural. I decide to test him a bit further.

Leaning in even closer, I whisper in his ear, "by the way, did I tell you how good you look in that tux?"

And I'm not lying, he does look hot. Extremely hot. I'm pretty sure the suit was tailored and no one else would pull it off like Liam Payne does. His broad shoulders are prominent and his narrow hips are a delight in those fit trousers.

An effective way to lie is to modify truth in an exaggerated way. I do think he looks hot but I would never tell him or make it sound like I can't take my eyes off of him. Now I want him to believe that.

A cocky smile forms on his lips, pleased with my compliment. Then his eyes scan me in a new light and this time I can see he really likes what he's seeing. For some reason that gives me certain satisfaction.

"You look amazing, Belle. Sorry I didn’t trust you with the dress. I didn't imagine it’d look that good," he says and I can tell he means it, there's honesty in his words and for a few seconds that pushes me off balance.

"When I care, I can do great things, Liam. You should trust me a bit more," I say and his hand now rests atop mine. I'm surprised but I don't feel rejection against his touch.

"Will do, Belle."

My body freezes when he cups my face with the lightest touch and then he leans in. I think he's going to kiss me, like he did at the bookshop, like he did at the party, and I don't know what to do. But he doesn't touch my lips, instead he leaves a kiss on my forehead, soft as a butterfly touch.