Chapter 26 - Proud

It’s been quite quiet without Liam around, mostly because I can concentrate on my work instead of going on dates and all that pretence. However, it’s a bit boring because I don’t even have a reason to complain or someone to argue with. Odd as it might sound, all that fighting with Liam and annoyance I felt towards him kept me on my toes, hence, amused in a way. But even if he’s touring on the northern part of the UK, that does not mean I don’t talk to him. He calls me, or texts me, asking me how I’m doing and even about the kids at school. He actually acts like a boyfriend and I find myself asking about him and the tour naturally, without forcing myself. We don’t spend hours talking nor we are constantly texting each other, but I hear of him at least once a day.

It’s been five days since he left for tour when someone knocks at my door. It’s quite late and Dad should be on his way but I doubt it’s him. He has keys and never knocks. So I leave the assignments I was marking and go open the door. I’m surprised to find a delivery guy.

“Are you Miss Reed?” the boy asks and I nod, still holding the door. “This is for you,” he says handing me a package wrapped in brown paper with my name scribbled on it. It doesn’t look like it’s gone through the post service.

“Thank you,” I say looking for a nametag on his uniform, but I only find Syco’s logo. Does he work in Dad’s label, too?

“Have a good evening,” he says with a little nod before leaving. I’m surprised he doesn’t ask me for my signature or anything.

Still a bit dumbfounded, I close the door with the package in my hands. I go back to the dinner table where I was working and open the package. Inside there’s a yellow envelope and a book. One of the books I bought on one of those first dates with Liam. Did he send me this?

I open the envelope and find a note that reads.

Belle,

I hope you’re not getting bored whilst I’m not there. I’ll be back soon, don’t worry, love. In the meantime, read one of the books you picked long ago. I still have them all but I’ll be giving them to you moderately. You once said to do things out of consideration, not because I’m trying to buy you. I already bought these books, so I’m sorry about that, but I hope you still think it’s considerate of me to give them to you slowly and not all at once. I’m not sure, it’s hard for me to see the difference. But I’m trying, that must count, right?

Be well, I miss you. Happy reading.

Liam.

I read the note three times to fully believe it’s real, that he did this. I had forgotten about the books and I’m surprised he kept them. After all those fights and whatnot, I thought he would’ve thrown them away. He didn’t want them nor needed them. I’m really, really surprised he’s kept them and that he’s giving them back to me slowly. I actually think it’s cute, not just because he’s sending me book while he’s not here, but also because he is trying.

“Silly Liam,” I say putting the note back inside the envelope and opening the book.

It’s The 5th Wave. One of the books I really wanted to read because it had been highly recommended to me. I’ll start it tonight, once I finish grading all these assignments. I have even more motivation to finish my work so by the time Dad is back, I’m done with all the grading and I have dinner ready for both of us.

“Did something good happen?” Dad asks me and only then I realise I’ve kept the smile on my lips.

“Oh, nothing important. Liam sent me a book to keep me company while he’s not here,” I say because I know that would make Dad happy and feel at ease.