Chapter 3: Training/Vee's Life

At the Jade Palace, an old red panda was playing a flute. He was surrounded by the bushes and trees that nestle between the Training Hall. From behind the bushes, stealthy dark shapes move in the foreground. He was still playing and seemed oblivious. Five figures explode from the undergrowth simultaneously, diving on him. He moved like lightning, the flute now wielded like a staff. He deflected, blocked, dodged, parried, and the attackers go flying. They roll and picked themselves up, turning to face him, who is now standing—poised—ready for their next move.

"Well done, students...if you were trying to disappoint me." Shifu said before he looked around for one more figure. "Where is Venus De Milo?"

"Up here." A young female replied.

Everyone looked at the top of the tree and saw a young mutant turtle girl. She had sea green skin, short black hair with a turquoise streak in her bangs, and ocean blue eyes. She wore a formal long sleeved ninjitsu turquoise shirt with a teal bow on the waist, a light blue belt, a turquoise bandanna mask tied on her wrist, black pants with a turquoise line on the sides, and black shoes.

"I was doing my meditation lessons again." Vee explained.

"I see." Shifu replied. "Well done with your meditation, but remember to keep on ground level."

"Hai." Vee said with a bow.

Shifu used his flute to point at the Five, who respectfully bow as their name is mentioned.

"Tigress, you need more ferocity!" Shifu stated. "Monkey, greater speed. Crane, height. Viper, subtlety. Mantis..."

"Master Shifu." A voice said.

"What?!" Shifu asked, as he suddenly points the flute at a scared palace goose.

"It's Master Oogway." The goose replied a little startled. "He wants to see you."

Shifu looked up, with concerned. He ran to the Jade Palace, which was lined with palace geese. The door bursts open. Shifu entered and came to a halt. Candles and emerald lighting filled the room. He took a deep breath and bowed.

"Master Oogway, you summoned me." Shifu said. "Is something wrong?"

Shifu looked up at a tortoise shell perfectly balanced on a thin wooden staff. Master Oogway, a wise and elderly tortoise, emerged slowly from his meditative position and climbed down effortlessly.

"Why must something be wrong for me to want to see my old friend?" Oogway replied.

"So, nothing's wrong?" Shifu asked.

"Well, I didn't say that." Oogway admitted.

Shifu looked up, concerned. Oogway opened his mouth... and blew out a candle. And another candle. And another. And another. Oogway opened his mouth to say something, then blew out another candle. Finally, an impatient Shifu used his kung fu to blow them all out.

"You were saying?" Shifu asked.

"I have had a vision." Oogway said. "Tai Lung will return."

Shifu looked stricken. He thought of quick, impressionistic images of a large, shadowy figure flash in his mind. Shifu was rattled.

"That is impossible!" Shifu gasped. "He is in prison."

"Nothing is impossible." Oogway said.

Shifu stared in horror for a second before he reacted.

"Zeng!" Shifu called out to a goose, that came to him. "Fly to Chorh-Gom prison and tell them to double the guards, double their weapons, double everything! Tai Lung does not leave that prison!"

"Yes, Master Shifu!" Zeng said before he flew off, but then hit a column. Then he was off.

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway said as he walked to the Moon Pool.

"We must do something!" Shifu panicked as he followed Oogway. "We can't let him march on the valley, take his revenge! He'll... He'll..."

"Your mind is like this water, my friend." Oogway said. "When it is agitated, it becomes difficult to see. But if you allow it to settle...the answer becomes clear."

Shifu and Oogway stared into the pool. Oogway settled the water with his staff, revealing the reflection of an intricately-carved dragon clutching a scroll in its mouth.

"The Dragon Scroll." Shifu breathed.

"It is time." Oogway said.

"But who?" Shifu asked. "Who is worthy to be trusted with the secret to limitless power? To become the Dragon Warrior?"

"I don't know." Oogway replied with a smile after a short pause, that made Shifu stare at him.