Part 8

After the match between teams A and D, no one seemed ready to hold back. It was all I could do not to stare at Bakugo, concerned and intrigued. When he first entered the room, I'd tried to talk to him, but he told me to leave him alone.

Before I could think about Bakugo anymore, Ojiro and Hagakure interrupt my thoughts. It's time to head inside for our match. Team B versus team I. I take a deep breath before walking in, following my teammates. We hurry and relocate the weapon before discussing our strategy.

"Hey, guys," Hagakure speaks up suddenly. "Let's get serious. I'm going to take off all my clothes and totally disappear." She takes off her gloves hastily.

"Yeah, cool," Ojiro nods  and smiles a little awkwardly. It takes all my self control not to blush at the idea of a naked girl running around.

I shake my head violently before chiming in. "Good idea. You can be our eyes and ears. I have a feeling we'll be seeing that ice quirk though so be careful." Hagakure starts getting  excited but I quickly keep going. "I think Ojiro and I should stay here. I can counter Todoroki's ice quirk if it comes in here and Ojiro can defend me and the weapon."

Ojiro cocks his head slightly. "Defend you? I don't mean to assume but you seem perfectly capable of defending yourself, based on your recommendation and Mr. Aizawa's tests."

I nod, "Normally, I would be able to. But I'll be changing the molecular qualities of water from solid to liquid. It requires a lot of concentration and I can only do it so much before blacking out. So if that happens, I'll need you to make sure I'm out of harms way."

Before any more words could be said, All Might's voice comes across the speakers. "Look alive, kids! Show us you're the embodiment of good! Or... Evil. Let's go!" The buzzer sounds and Hagakure takes off.

I quickly move to a corner and sit. Ojiro gives me another look and, before I can respond, the entire room is covered in ice. "He must have covered the whole building. Give me a sec." I put my hand on the now ice covered floor and concentrate. As my reality begins to melt away into a state of darkness, I feel the ice under my fingers melt. I was now locked into a state of constant use. To counter Todoroki's ice, I had to keep it as water, and that meant temporarily trapping myself in my own mind. I concentrate harder and relay what I'm doing to Ojiro. He responds but it sounds fuzzy and far away. I go back to my mental isolation and continue concentrating. I'm surprised, however, as I find myself covered in another layer of ice. I break my concentration and do it again, this time not bothering to keep it that way. I get up as quickly as I possibly could and move to the hallway outside.

As I was stepping out the door, the floor under me turns to ice. My foot slips but I catch myself quickly. Having one foot stuck to the floor and the other struggling to keep hold on it, I quickly get annoyed. I pull my foot out, my boot still covered but not damaged. I place my hand on the wall and melt the ice as I walk, causing spots to dance in my vision. I feel my body heating up, but I'm not sure if it's from anger or overusing my quirk. I let out a scream, letting the emotions I feel loose, but directing it to the front of the building. Before I can walk any further, both of my boots become stuck to the floor again. I let out another, slightly angrier scream and slammed my hands on the floor. As I melt the ice again, I feel myself falter. My body gives out to exhaustion, but I stay conscious. Yet another layer of ice comes, this time clinging to my clothes and skin. I put all of my remaining energy into melting it one more time and consciousness slips through my grasp.

Those God awful nightmares... I feel my eyes struggle to open as I think about my situation with my pounding head. It's incredibly unfortunate that pushing my quirk so hard makes them worse. Here I am, trying to prove my strength and worth, and I can't even sleep without being in pain. I push through the wall of thoughts and open my eyes carefully. Before I can even process that I'm not alone, I hear a voice. "Ummm, hi Shiro."

I turn my head quickly to find the source and immediately feel pounding in my temple. I wince slightly but stop in surprise when I see Midoriya's green eyes staring. "D-Deku?" I look around in confusion and slowly sit up. "Uh, hi. What's up?"

Midoriya looks at his hands nervously. "Oh! U-uh... Well... Kaachan left and I always see you guys on the train together. He always walks the same way you do even though our houses are in a different direction. So I figured you might like me to walk you home. You know, since he isn't here." He looks at me with just a little more confidence. "I just know he'd want to be sure you're safe."

I feee my eye twitch slightly as I process what he told me. Bakugo walks me that much further? Is Bakugo that worried about my safety? I feel my mind racing as Midoriya calls out to me, bringing me back to his gaze. "Uh, sorry. Umm. That sounds good! Thanks for thinking of me, Deku."

Midoriya nods before standing, "I'll meet you at the entrance and let Recovery Girl know that you're awake." He quickly gives me a shaky smile before walking away. I lean back on the bed frame, trying to process what was happening still. Why did Deku want to walk with me? Maybe it's less lonely to walk with someone, but there's no way he's walking as far as my house. I shake my head before moving to the edge of the bed and bringing my legs over.

Recovery Girl pushes the curtain back in the same moment and I stare at her, slightly surprised. "Don't get up just yet, dear. I need to make sure you're not going to black out again." I relax as she approaches. She joins me on the bed and pulls out a flashlight. She turns it on and quickly shines it in my eye. I blink rapidly as the light dilates my pupil. She nods approvingly, returning the now off flashlight to its original spot. She holds a finger up and tells me to follow it without moving my head. I do so with ease and she nods again. After giving me a once over, she gets off the bed. Alright, you're free to go. Try not to make a habit of coming here, dear." I nod lightly as I stand up, stretching my arms out.

I turn around to see if there's anything that I need to grab. After double checking that there wasn't anything, I turn to leave. When I reach the door, I turn back. "Thank you. Have a good rest of your evening." I quickly leave and head to the locker room.