Prologue

Pain.

All I feel is pain surging through my body as I lay in the side alley off the main street. I can't even move to defend myself from anyone or anything that might try to hurt me more. All I can do is wait until someone comes; whether they'll help me or hurt me is the question.

It's a miracle I got as far as I did, crawling around with a broken ankle, a sprained wrist, and a missing eye. I'm surprised no one saw me, trying to escape that horrible place I was supposed to call home. Or maybe they did see me and were just too scared or didn't care. Either way, it's for the best. I can't let them find me again.

I move to pull myself up against a wall, but the pain makes me stop, and the effort is futile. So I just lay beside it, staring up at the grey sky as small snowflakes begin to fall, slowly. As I feel myself starting to slip out of consciousness, I see a shadow at the top of my vision and pray for salvation or a quick death.

I feel the darkness begin to lift from my vision and I feel myself stir, rough fabric shifting with me. I slowly open my left eye in fear to try and make out where I am, before my head starts hurting with a dull ache. I go to shift my left arm but feel pain as well as something constraining it. I look down confused to see it bandaged up and set in a sling. I also see my right foot bandaged and elevated a few inches higher than the rest of me. I blink my eye a few times more before I look around, trying to figure out where I am.

I'm laying on some sort of makeshift bed, made from blankets and bedding placed on the floor. The room is massive and dark, the ceilings high and lined with large metal braces. Everything looks to be metal except the floor which is cold concrete. To my right is a raised, metal platform with metal stairs leading up to it. There are a few dozen wires and tubes connecting to the structure in the middle of the platform, and in front of the structure are a bunch of screens. To my left are more makeshift beds, all empty and unkempt. In an attempt to see more, I try to sit up again and only manage a little bit before the pain makes me groan and lay down again.

"You need to rest. Tomura found you half broken in an alley. I must say, you have a very powerful quirk," a voice echos from the dark. "Too bad it requires practice to use. It's not able to create pure distruction all at once without effort. Oh well, I guess I can add to it, instead; make you the ultimate hero slayer. Your body should start fixing itself before you wake up." A disfigured face shines down from the platform to my right and smiles eerily. His fingers seem to stretch from his body and make their way towards me. As soon as they make contact, I feel pain surge through me again, this time stronger, and the darkness takes me for a second time.