Recruits

Previously:

"And what's Percy going to do?" Selina challenged.

"Kill him?" Ethan said hopefully. "He is not fit to lead so maybe at least a demotion?"

"Only Nasuada can do that," Roran grunted. "Percy is technically not a part of the Varden."

"Either way," Selina said. "No matter what, we are going to make sure he takes the fall for this because it's more than just ridiculous. 'Honest blade work,'" she spat. "The soldiers of this 'Empire' don't care about that, do they?"

"Can I be the one to tell Percy?"

"Yes, Ethan," Selina sighed.

"You wanted to see me, Lady Nasuada?" Edric entered the tent and bowed. He froze upon seeing who else was in the leader of the Varden's quarters. As he took in the information, his brain seemed to think this was an already lost battle and it filled him with an overwhelming sense of dread. Especially as he took note of the absolutely condemning smirk on a one eyed warrior. "Lord Perseus, it is a pleasure to meet you face to face."

"The pleasure is all yours, Edric, son of Eric," Perseus said smoothly. His hand rested too casually on the hilt of his sword and the winged dog that followed him and Lady Thalia around was lounging at his feet.

At his words, Lady Thalia snorted and whispered something under her breath. This caused the other two dark haired girls to laugh and Stronghammer to cover his mouth with his hand to hide a smile. If seeing the foreign war leader and his team didn't worry him before, seeing Stronghammer acting like buddies with them definitely did now.

The tent flap opened again to allow Ulthric in right behind him

"Ah, good. You are both here," Nasuada rearranged the folds of her skirt and straightened her back. "Please, come here."

The two men hesitantly moved forward. Edric knew the moment Ulthric saw Perseus because he tripped on his own feet and gulped. This only seemed to make Ethan smile wider.

"Some things have been brought to my attention concerning your actions and leadership in the Varden," the young leader of the Varden said. "Perseus and his warriors have informed me of some...unfortunate decisions that were made nearly to the downfall of two entire companies."

"My lady-"

"Do not speak," Nasuada leveled her chilling glare on the man next to Edric. She'd already been glaring at the both of them, but it seemed to intensify as she put her entire focus on Ulthric. Whatever he did must have been a little more personal. "Your disrespect for our allies is not the only case I've had to deal with in the past week and I am sick of it."

The two of them fell silent, preferring to avoid looking their commanding officer in the eyes.

"Edric, I strip you of your status as captain," she continued. "I put you under command of Lord Perseus. Let's see you learn some things about teamwork there."

Edric felt the blood rush from his face as he looked at the malicious grin of the rather large, intimidating man to Nasuada's left. He knew things would not be going his way for the foreseeable future.