Problems with the Troops

Previously:
"Has Blödhgarm or Arya agreed to it?" Eragon asked.

"I assumed you would inform them of the details."

"If I might make a suggestion?" Eragon said. He seemed much calmer after his talk with his dragon.

"You know I welcome your suggestions," Nasuada answered pleasantly.

"A suggestion and request then," she lifted a finger, motioning for him to continue. "When the dwarves have chosen a new king or queen, Saphira should join me in Farthen Dûr, both to honor dwarves' new ruler and fulfill the promise made to King Hrothgar after the battle for Trojheim."

"What promise was this?" The small girl straightened in her seat. "You have not told me this before."

Apparently, Arya broke a precious gem of the dwarves in the fight and Saphira promised to fix it. The dwarves treasured the stone because of it's beauty and because of its immense size.

"You made your suggestion, what of your request?"

"Since you insist I must make this trip, with your permission, I would like to fly with Saphira from Trojheim to Ellesméra, after the coronation," Eragon answered promptly.

"For what purpose?"

"To consult with the ones who taught us during our last visit to Du Weldenvarden," Eragon answered. "We promised them as soon as events allowed, we would return to Ellesméra to complete our training.

Was it just me or did I get a Star Wars vibe?

Nasuada's eyebrows drew closer together. "There is not time for you to spend weeks or months in Ellesméra continuing your education," Nasuada argued. "Not even with Percy here."

"No, but perhaps we have time for a brief visit."

"And who exactly are your teachers? I have noticed you always evade direct questions about them. Who was it that taught you in Ellesméra, Eragon? Percy?"

"We swore an oath to Islanzandí that we would not reveal their identity with out permission from her, Arya or who ever succeeds to the throne," Eragon answered.

I gave Eragon a look. "You seem to be making promises to everyone, Eragon," I said dryly.

We do not seek them out, but how can we avoid pledging ourselves when we cannot topple Galbatorix and the Empire without the support of every race in Alagaësia? Oaths are the price we pay for winning the aid of those in power, Saphira said.

Nasuada humphed. "So I must speak to Arya on the matter?"

Eragon nodded. "But I doubt she'll tell you. The elves consider their identities one of their most precious secrets," Eragon twisted the ring on his finger, obviously thinking.

"What exactly do you hope to gain from such a visit?" Nasuada inquired.

"Believe me," I said before Eragon could say anything. "They may just learn how Murtagh and Thorn got to be so powerful so fast and how exactly to save Alagaësia."

Nasuada and Eragon shared a look. "Very well," Nasuada said. That seemed to conclude the meeting so I spoke up.

"Was there something specific you needed me for?" I asked. I had barely contributed to the conversation and Nasuada didn't assign me to anything.