Spar

Previously:
"You don't need to look at those sweetheart," I said gently but there was an underlying tone of warning as I said it.

"And you stay away from there," Thalia growled at Eragon.

Arya finished and stepped back. "Eragon should check you since the Varden doesn't trust elves as much as they do Eragon," she said.

I nodded my consent and waited for Eragon to finish with Thalia. It did not take long. When he pulled out, Eragon stumbled a little and was more than slightly pale. His hands twitched in the direction of his lower regions and his body shuddered. Poor guy was probably scarred for life.

"Your mind is a scary place, Lady Thalia," Eragon said in as much of a controlled expression as he could manage. "But you are clear."

Thalia smirked evilly, making Roran and even Arya step back.

Eragon then turned to me and stretched out his mind. He did not take as long as Arya, he obviously learned his lesson with Thalia. When he stepped back, however, he was still shaken.

He looked me in the eyes with some difficulty. "I don't know if I'd be able to go through what you did," he said quietly.

I shook my head. "No one can," I told him. "Those trials were put before me and me alone. They were tailored specifically for me. The Fates needed me to grow the way I did. I needed it. Just like your trials are something I would never be able to do. Some of them are similar, yes, but all the same, they are much different. Everyone has their own trials, what matters is that only you can do yours."

Eragon nodded and shared a look with Nasuada, who had waited patiently along with Roran for us to finish.

"Great," the dark shinned leader said happily. "Now tell me about that Rider."

Eragon told a brief history of how the Dragon Riders started for the benefit of Roran and I suspect, Thalia and me. Yet, we already knew because my sisters had told us. Then he spoke of his fight with Murtagh. When he revealed the truth of his parentage, being a son of Moean, a traitor to the people and Dragon Riders, I watched carefully for the other's reactions.

"It can't be," Nasuada was shocked.

Roran was surprised as well but repulsion was also in the mix. Eragon saw it and I could see how this hurt him.

"Could Murtagh have been lying?" Arya asked, obviously hopeful it was wrong.

"I don't see how, when I questioned him, he told me the same thing in the Ancient Language," Eragon said in resignation.

"You can't lie in the Ancient Language?" Thalia asked, surprised. We both knew they had to be talking about Ancient Greek since that was the one we knew had magical properties in this world.

"You can?" Arya was dubious.

I shrugged. "Haven't tried in this world but the Ancient Language is in our blood where we come from. Most of us grew up with it and are fluent," I started by way of explanation. "Most can't read english, the language of our country because our brains are set for the Ancient tongue. Speaking it is an everyday thing and not used for magic. Magic was done differently back home."